Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2013 v6 automatic 0-60 time help

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 AM
SeanB97

Default 2013 v6 automatic 0-60 time help

Hey everyone. So I've had my mustang for about a year now and I don't really drive it all that much (it only has 6,000 miles on it.) I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting 6.2 seconds as my best 0-60 time when it's advertised as 5.8. I feel like I'm doing everything right but I'm not sure so maybe yall can help me.

Alright, so to start I have the performance package with the 3.31's and all that good stuff and also installed an airaid cold air intake. I turn traction control off. Sport Shift mode on. I turn air conditioning completely off (I heard that's supposed to help but I'm really not sure it makes a difference.) And lastly I hold it at 2000 rpms before launch and then release and mash the gas all the way in. My main problem seems to be the horrible start. It has no initial get up and seems to take a good .5 a second to actually take off.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong here? And I know that its only a v6 and most people use them just as their daily drivers and what not, but I'm just trying to have a little fun challenging myself to push the car to it's full potential. Thanks for taking the time to read this and all comments and help are appreciated!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:58 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing your results with what someone else gets with the car is testing conditions. Elevation and weather (temperatures/humidity) can help create discrepancies between testing of the same vehicle. As long as you are in a close range then that's at least a good start.

You can try launching at different RPMs though to see if that improves your launch.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

You probably need to rev a little higher. I launch at 4k but have a manual. I've gotten 4.3 seconds although I'm almost fully bolted on.

A performance package car should be getting low 5 second to 60.

What elevation are you at? If you're in Texas, that shouldn't be an issue, but if you're up high, your times will be affected. Also are you sure the road is flat that you're trying this on? Have you tried in both directions?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
You probably need to rev a little higher. I launch at 4k but have a manual. I've gotten 4.3 seconds although I'm almost fully bolted on.

What elevation are you at? If you're in Texas, that shouldn't be an issue, but if you're up high, your times will be affected. Also are you sure the road is flat that you're trying this on? Have you tried in both directions?
Wow, 4.3 in a V6? I've heard that they can be quick with a bunch of bolt-ons, lightweight drive shaft, ect. But after you add up all the mods, you could have most likely got a V8.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I haven't spent that much, and I still wouldn't have had a Premium GT. My mods cost around $4k. So for a total of less than $30k, I have a pretty quick car that still gets 29mpg.

The other thing I'd like to add was that I also prefer the better handling and balance oft he v6 over the 5.0. My car weighs 3400lbs and I like how it gets around corners and brakes quickly.

Last edited by hogasswild; 03-02-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM
SeanB97

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
One thing to keep in mind when comparing your results with what someone else gets with the car is testing conditions. Elevation and weather (temperatures/humidity) can help create discrepancies between testing of the same vehicle. As long as you are in a close range then that's at least a good start.

You can try launching at different RPMs though to see if that improves your launch.
Yes this is true, however most of my tests have seemed to be in pretty ideal conditions. I might try launching at a lower rpm and maybe not completely floor it from the get go. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM
SeanB97

Originally Posted by hogasswild

I would try revving it higher, however sadly in the automatics you can't... At least I can't. Mine seems to have a rev limiter at 2k rpms for some reason. Elevation shouldn't be an issue considering I'm in the Houston Texas area. And yes all of the roads I have tested on have been flat and I have tried going both ways on many of them.

One thing I just thought of though is that I usually run my car with 87 octane rather than a higher 93. Do you think that could make a big enough difference?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If you want to hit the published spec, you have to flog it pretty hard, most of the time the magazine will really burn the tires to heat them up. They also empty everything out of the car, and run as little gas in the tank as possible.
Have you tried going back to the factory air intake? If it's bogging down I'd backup to see why. Still, 6.2 is not that bad, my best time is 5.6 with a manual. I'm sure I could knock of a few tenths by heating up the tires a few times, I'd just rather save the clutch for fun not for a couple of 10ths.
I also prefer the better handling and balance oft he v6 over the 5.0
I agree with hogasswild, the 3.7 is really well balanced-front to rear, and a lot of fun in the twisties. I am very impressed with your 0-60 time!! Gonna take another look at your mods!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I normally get 4.5-4.6 but if I do everything perfectly, I can do better. I know there's potentially even more room for improvement since we have guys cutting mid 12 second 1/4 miles and 1/8 times indicating 3.8-4.0 seconds for 0-60.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SeanB97
I would try revving it higher, however sadly in the automatics you can't... At least I can't. Mine seems to have a rev limiter at 2k rpms for some reason. Elevation shouldn't be an issue considering I'm in the Houston Texas area. And yes all of the roads I have tested on have been flat and I have tried going both ways on many of them.

One thing I just thought of though is that I usually run my car with 87 octane rather than a higher 93. Do you think that could make a big enough difference?
93 octane gets you between 4-8hp. Ford engineers have confirmed that the motor adjust to octane like the 5.0 does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 v6 automatic 0-60 time help