Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Issue with sucking in hot air

Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Simp14stev

Default Issue with sucking in hot air

Hello all,

well my first post unforunately has to be a concern of mine. I recently bought an Airaid intake part # 450-265 and now the intake temperature sensor indicates the air that is getting sucked in is atleast 15 degrees hotter than outside.

Did I buy an intake with a bad heat shield?
Did I screw up the sensor?
Do I need to worry?

Thanks everyone and thank you for having me on the forums!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

What was the temps with the old stock intake/tune? You don't normally touch the IAT sensor when doing a CAI. You normally move the MAF sensor during the process so I don't think you could have messed it up.

Anyway you could put old intake/stock tune (assuming tune as normally with CAI you tune and the fact you know the IAT temp means you have a scan tool of some sort) back on for a base line on IAT temps?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:32 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Depending on the design of the new cai you purchased, it may actually suck in more under hood hot air than the stock intake setup. An open filter under the hood needs a real good seal to prevent the hot air from getting puled in.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Simp14stev

I checked and everything is fine with the stock, maybe AzPete is right, maybe the fit isnt correct, maybe i need to do some modification the help seal it better but I havent heard any problems with fit on any 2014 so far
Old 06-17-2014, 01:33 PM
StangDawg

Originally Posted by Simp14stev
Hello all,

well my first post unforunately has to be a concern of mine. I recently bought an Airaid intake part # 450-265 and now the intake temperature sensor indicates the air that is getting sucked in is atleast 15 degrees hotter than outside.

Did I buy an intake with a bad heat shield?
Did I screw up the sensor?
Do I need to worry?

Thanks everyone and thank you for having me on the forums!
Are you comparing temperatures when at a stop, idle, in traffic, or at highway speed?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Does the intake you bought make use of the OEM air inlet below it. And does it have a shroud to seal it against the closed hood? IOT... is it an open top or a sealed style? If it's open top does the car have a functional hood scoop? Does the hood have heat extractors whether OEM or After-Market? Are they open or blocked???

I would tend to think that with an open top style CAi with no inlet from the OEM location and no vent from a functional hood scoop....the majority of the air coming in would be from the engine compartment ... Or if there are heat extractors then they're not very functional.

Just saying

---
Old 06-17-2014, 02:05 PM
StangDawg

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Does the intake you bought make use of the OEM air inlet below it. And does it have a shroud to seal it against the closed hood? IOT... is it an open top or a sealed style? If it's open top does the car have a functional hood scoop? Does the hood have heat extractors whether OEM or After-Market? Are they open or blocked???

I would tend to think that with an open top style CAi with no inlet from the OEM location and no vent from a functional hood scoop....the majority of the air coming in would be from the engine compartment ... Or if there are heat extractors then they're not very functional.

Just saying

---
The OP has an Airaid CAI which makes use of the OEM air inlet below it and has a shroud to seal it against the closed hood. That's why I asked what speed the OP is taking the temperature reading at: idle/stop, traffic, or highway speed. There's heat soak with all intakes at idle/stop and traffic, including the OEM intake. Just curious how the OP is determining the temperature.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Simp14stev
I checked and everything is fine with the stock, maybe AzPete is right, maybe the fit isnt correct, maybe i need to do some modification the help seal it better but I havent heard any problems with fit on any 2014 so far
Fit is a relative term...what you're looking for is a seal between the hood and the gasket on the intake.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Simp14stev

My bad, it must have been heat soak, it was during idle I was measuring. See this is my first mod that I've done so I'm a newbie at all this. But it's hard to imagine that heat soak would be almost 20 degrees Celsius (not sure what that would be in fahrenheit) but it does register a normal temperature when cruising.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:48 PM
StangDawg

Sweet, as long as it's cool when on the move!