Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Did I buy a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM
donelly

Default Did I buy a lemon?

About 3 months ago I bought a brand new 2014 Mustang V6 with manual transmission. Love the car but for about a week or so I'm experiencing the following issue (currently just over 5k miles):

After a while of driving, the engine kind of runs a little rough. When I step on the clutch, I can feel the engine revving (and I'm not on the gas). I can also see a bump in the rpm gauge by about 200-400 rpm when I step on the clutch. I believe this only happens after I drive the car on the freeway for a few minutes. If I am driving in normal city stop and go traffic, I don't believe this clutch/engine issue occurs, but I'm still trying to figure this out.

Anyway, in addition, I noticed twice that the "stability control system" and "stability control system off" warning lights come on simultaneously. When I kill the engine and start it up again, they're gone. I don't know if this issue is related to the clutch/engine thing, but it seems to have started at around the same time.

I called a Ford dealership and they told me that such warning / error codes are not stored and that they are essentially being deleted when I turn off the engine. If I were to bring the car to a dealership for service, would that be done under warranty? The "check engine" warning light is not on, and I don't really know yet how to replicate the "stability control" light error. Do I have to pay for labor only to have them tell me they can't replicate any of the issues and I'm imagining the clutch issue?

Thanks in advance guys. I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with crap like this in a brand new car.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

i would definitely get your codes scanned. then i would change out the sparks , and plugs, make sure you get better than oem quality. if that doesn't fix it probably your coil packs. Check the exhaust system to make sure all bolts are tight.
Change all filters including fuel filter, run a bottle of the techron or lucas fuel treatment.
Drop that oil make sure its clean and get a good oil filter. Might want to think about an oil catch can it helped me lots catching all that oil. And if you still don't like the way its idling. clean the throttle body and check maf sensor. This might all sound Chinese but keep up with your maintenance and throw a couple of aftermarket parts in there.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

This is what Warranties are for, if they cannot reproduce the problem take the tech out if you know how to reproduce the problem to show him, it could be something as easy as reflashing the ECU.
As for the Advancetrac/stability control system if it persists they can put a Data recorder in to record the incident and know what needs to be looked at.
As for paying for it, if your dealer wants to charge you take it to a different dealer.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IvanRad
i would definitely get your codes scanned. then i would change out the sparks , and plugs, make sure you get better than oem quality. if that doesn't fix it probably your coil packs. Check the exhaust system to make sure all bolts are tight.
Change all filters including fuel filter, run a bottle of the techron or lucas fuel treatment.
Drop that oil make sure its clean and get a good oil filter. Might want to think about an oil catch can it helped me lots catching all that oil. And if you still don't like the way its idling. clean the throttle body and check maf sensor. This might all sound Chinese but keep up with your maintenance and throw a couple of aftermarket parts in there.
That is horrible advice to give to someone who only has a 3 month old car.

I wouldn't waste your time or money changing plugs, filters and what not. I would take it to the dealer. You don't need them telling you it's due to some unnecessary work you did.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Anyway, in addition, I noticed twice that the "stability control system" and "stability control system off" warning lights come on simultaneously.
I'd wager the steering angle sensor is flaking out. This is what went wrong on my 2012. Unfortunately the sensor is part of the electric power steering rack so they have to replace the whole thing.

I called a Ford dealership and they told me that such warning / error codes are not stored and that they are essentially being deleted when I turn off the engine. If I were to bring the car to a dealership for service, would that be done under warranty? The "check engine" warning light is not on, and I don't really know yet how to replicate the "stability control" light error. Do I have to pay for labor only to have them tell me they can't replicate any of the issues and I'm imagining the clutch issue?
this is BS. most modules have self-diagnostic capability and will set, store, and age DTCs if something goes wrong. The key is that the code readers you can buy for cheap generally only read "P" codes (powertrain OBD-II codes.) Reading diagnostic info from other modules usually means you need a factory scanner which can read "B" codes (body systems,) "C" codes (chassis,) and "U" codes (CAN network codes.)

Last edited by jz78817; 06-21-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I agree with jz on this one...
I'm not up on the 3.7 but your dealer is full of crap really.
Have a tech test drive the car (with you in it) and start from there.
Do not spend money on this, this is a warranty issue for sure.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:25 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You have a brand new car....use your warranty! Go to the dealership so they can look at it. YOu need to take it to them, explaining it to them over the phone won't get your car fixed.

For your lemon question - No, you don't have a lemon. For it to be a lemon the dealer must have made multiple attempts to fix the problem. They haven't even had a chance to make one repair.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 PM
donelly

thanks guys appreciate all the responses. the problem seems to reoccur now everytime I drive more than 20 minutes. I'll drop it off early next week.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:30 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:58 PM
donelly

It's at the dealership since this morning. Received a call an hour ago and was told they found an error code that shouldn't exist or is not officially listed. The plot thickens...

Quick Reply: Did I buy a lemon?