Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK Tuned Length Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Default BBK Tuned Length Shorty Headers

Okay, so the next item on my mods list is going to be BBK ceramic shorty headers. If any of you had these installed, how was the installation? any tips or recommendations you can add? I've done a lot of searches and can't seem to find much relating to the 2014 3.7s. If anyone has any input please let me know. I will be ordering these soon and installing myself. Thanks
Old 06-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

2 12 inch 1/2 drive extensions, 1/2 breaker bar, 15mm 1/2 drive Socket, 17mm 1/2 drive socket, 10mm socket, 13mm ratcheting box end wrench, Jack, Jackstands and Patients.
Make sure you put all the exhaust studs back in the head before putting the header on. The directions are pretty straight forward, put the bottom nut on number 3 (rear right side) and it easier with the coolant line out of the way.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Awesome. Thank you!

Also, would you recommend using the stock gaskets or the supplied BBK ones?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I have over 20K on the BBK Gaskets, I heat cycled them and retightened them every 500-1000 miles, now I check them when I do the Oil change, but if I did it again I would use the Stockers. I do have them hanging on my workbench if the BBK's go out.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Brando

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I have over 20K on the BBK Gaskets, I heat cycled them and retightened them every 500-1000 miles, now I check them when I do the Oil change, but if I did it again I would use the Stockers. I do have them hanging on my workbench if the BBK's go out.
Wow - appreciate the detail! That seems high-maintaince, is that typical to have to pay attention to the gaskets that closely after install? I'm thinking of paying to have them done because I don't have the space, but if I need to tools to manage them myself I might as well do it myself...

Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

2 12 inch 1/2 drive extensions, 1/2 breaker bar, 15mm 1/2 drive Socket, 17mm 1/2 drive socket, 10mm socket, 13mm ratcheting box end wrench, Jack, Jackstands and Patients.
Make sure you put all the exhaust studs back in the head before putting the header on. The directions are pretty straight forward, put the bottom nut on number 3 (rear right side) and it easier with the coolant line out of the way.

Did you use a 12pt or 6pt 13mm ratcheting wrench?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I used a 12 point non ratcheting wrench, the ratchet I have broke on the first one, on #3 lower you will need an open end.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Diehard

I used a 12 point non ratcheting wrench, the ratchet I have broke on the first one, on #3 lower you will need an open end.
Siber...Did you have to access that #3 lower (passenger side) from the bottom, with the open end wrench?
I had problems from the bottom (maybe I didn't try hard enough) so I ended up using a 12 pt box end wrench from the top.
I assume you had the same problem as I did in that there wasn't enough space between the end of the stud and the header pipe to allow using a box wrench. What I ended up doing was grinding down enough of the box end of the wrench (thin enough) to get it on the nut.
Just curious!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diehard
Siber...Did you have to access that #3 lower (passenger side) from the bottom, with the open end wrench?
I had problems from the bottom (maybe I didn't try hard enough) so I ended up using a 12 pt box end wrench from the top.
I assume you had the same problem as I did in that there wasn't enough space between the end of the stud and the header pipe to allow using a box wrench. What I ended up doing was grinding down enough of the box end of the wrench (thin enough) to get it on the nut.
Just curious!
I used the Open end from the top, 1/4 of a turn at a time flipping the wrench to get it back on the nut.
Did you also notice the nuts are really 1/2 inch although I did use the 13mm on them, looser fit to get on the nuts easier and did the final tightening with the 1/2 inch.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Diehard

I used the Open end from the top, 1/4 of a turn at a time flipping the wrench to get it back on the nut.
Did you also notice the nuts are really 1/2 inch although I did use the 13mm on them, looser fit to get on the nuts easier and did the final tightening with the 1/2 inch.
I guess my open end was a bit different. Couldn't get it to work.
Yes on the 1/2". I had just picked up a set of SAE racketing box wrenches a couple of weeks earlier at harbor freight tools. They paid for themselves working on the headers.

Quick Reply: BBK Tuned Length Shorty Headers