Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 3.7L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
SSG Steggy

Vehicle: '14 Stang
Stephen Stegemeyer
Default Unbelievable pricing on axle/cat-backs

Man, I can't believe how expensive exhaust systems have become. I remember working on my dad's '71 f100 (20+ years ago) with 351C and cutting and bending pipe and welding on the mufflers ourselves. I don't remember the exhaust costing as much as it does today.

I couldn't bring myself to spend the $350+ on a bolt on axleback system, so I bought two chamber mufflers from summit racing, 2.5" in/out offset. They should be delivered tomorrow, and I plan on cutting the stock and installing the new ones on Friday.

What do you guys think about the sound of a two chamber on v6. Just don't want it to be ricey or tinny. Was thinking that if it did come out that way, I may just add some old style turbo mufflers in line under the car to take out the high pitch.

Soon, future mod will be lethal performance o/r x-pipe.

Any thoughts?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
SSG Steggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang V6

Just so you know, the stock exhaust on these v6's is 2.25in. Not sure if it's going to make a huge difference. From experience, you get what you pay for. Not sure how its going to sound with just mufflers, but with an o/r x pipe on these 6bangers its going to sound ricey/tinny regardless of what mufflers you have. It's going to sound loud and obnoxious for a v6. Just my opinion, to each their own. I have spent countless hours researching which exhaust to get because I didn't want it to sound like a ricer either. I ended up getting a set of BBK shorty headers with a FRPP cut/clamp xpipe and a set of borla s-types and it sounds amazing for a v6. I had a set of ATAKs on it but they were wayyyyy to loud for a v6 so I ended up trading with this dude and he gave me cash. So I installed them for him and I ended up paying only $250 for my Borlas I love the sound. If I were you, I would stay away from the catless systems.

This is my 6th mustang. I'm addicted.
2014 V6 3.7 6-speed manual
FP6 Package
AirAid CAI, Bama Tune, F&R Strut Tower Brace, Barton Short Shifter/Bracket
Stainless Steel Clutch Line, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, BBK Shorty Headers, Borla S-Types
The list never ends...
yourmom6990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
SSG Steggy

Vehicle: '14 Stang
Stephen Stegemeyer

Thanks yourmom6990, for the input. There is a V6 auto around my neighborhood with the replacement Flowmaster mufflers. Sounded really good, but he just cut the cats out, and now, like you said, obnoxiously loud. Think that I won't do the o/r x pipe, but maybe high flow cats instead. Really like the sound of the summit racing mufflers for the price, not tinny at all high rpm's do get a little raspy, but down low, it growls.

yes 2.25" inch is correct, I misread a post where I was looking for the stock size and ordered the 2.5" in/out. had to use adapter to mount. used double wall stainless 3.5" tips. Looks similar to stock, but sounds much better. I like it, and that's what matters.
SSG Steggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
cruisin5268d
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GT/CS Convertible & 2010 GT Premium

The v6 exhaust will always sound like.....v6 exhaust. Don't get you hopes up to high; and enjoy whatever sound you get when you fire your car up.
cruisin5268d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Steggy View Post
Thanks yourmom6990, for the input. There is a V6 auto around my neighborhood with the replacement Flowmaster mufflers. Sounded really good, but he just cut the cats out, and now, like you said, obnoxiously loud. Think that I won't do the o/r x pipe, but maybe high flow cats instead. Really like the sound of the summit racing mufflers for the price, not tinny at all high rpm's do get a little raspy, but down low, it growls.

yes 2.25" inch is correct, I misread a post where I was looking for the stock size and ordered the 2.5" in/out. had to use adapter to mount. used double wall stainless 3.5" tips. Looks similar to stock, but sounds much better. I like it, and that's what matters.
Very nice. I've heard a couple with highflow cats and they sound pretty decent. I might eventually get highflows but it was a bit pricy at the time. I'd rather get a one piece driveshaft :P

This is my 6th mustang. I'm addicted.
2014 V6 3.7 6-speed manual
FP6 Package
AirAid CAI, Bama Tune, F&R Strut Tower Brace, Barton Short Shifter/Bracket
Stainless Steel Clutch Line, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, BBK Shorty Headers, Borla S-Types
The list never ends...
yourmom6990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement