Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Will this gen V6 be enough power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Dieselrob

Default Will this gen V6 be enough power?

Hey guys, hope this is the right spot, I looked up and made sure I was talking about the right model lol.

I know you probably get this question a lot, I apologize if so.

I am looking to trade into a 2012 6MT V6, I am coming from a 2006 F350 turbo diesel.

I hardly use my truck anymore and it's expensive to fuel. The ol girl has 270k on her, so I am expecting some major repairs soon.

This 2012 is in my price range, I looked for GT's but found older, more mileage.

I see the 2012 has 300ish HP, how do they square up to lets say the prev model years 300HP GT?

Am I personally going to regret going from a turbo diesel to a 6 cylinder mustang?

I am not ******* the sixxer, some of the best turbo diesels are inline 6's. However a gas six is different than a diesel 6, so I come to the professionals.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Turbo diesel trucks are great.. If they're used for work/towing etc. There are many different factors when comparing a v6 sports car with a turbo diesel truck. If you're talking about speed and power, I know from experience my v6 has smoked every single turbo diesel that has ever tried a run at old sally. The 3.7s vs the S197 4.6s are pretty similar in power. I believe the GTs have a bit more torque but the 3.7s will run with those older GTs no problem. If not, out run them. People sometimes underestimate these 3.7s not realizing how much power and high revs they're able to put out. Mine redlines at 7k rpms. It was pretty funny when I outran a late 70s vette the other day. Out of the six mustangs I've owned, this 2014 v6 is by far the best. She's quick when I need it, and gets up to 30mpg on the highway. Who wouldn't love it? You'll probably get double the mpg in the sixxer than you did in the diesel.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Diehard

Originally Posted by Dieselrob
Hey guys, hope this is the right spot, I looked up and made sure I was talking about the right model lol.

I am looking to trade into a 2012 6MT V6, I am coming from a 2006 F350 turbo diesel.

I hardly use my truck anymore and it's expensive to fuel. The ol girl has 270k on her, so I am expecting some major repairs soon.

This 2012 is in my price range, I looked for GT's but found older, more mileage.

I see the 2012 has 300ish HP, how do they square up to lets say the prev model years 300HP GT?

Am I personally going to regret going from a turbo diesel to a 6 cylinder mustang?

I am not ******* the sixxer, some of the best turbo diesels are inline 6's. However a gas six is different than a diesel 6, so I come to the professionals.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regardless of the answers you may get, you'll have to drive one for yourself.
Good luck!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Dieselrob

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Turbo diesel trucks are great.. If they're used for work/towing etc. There are many different factors when comparing a v6 sports car with a turbo diesel truck. If you're talking about speed and power, I know from experience my v6 has smoked every single turbo diesel that has ever tried a run at old sally. The 3.7s vs the S197 4.6s are pretty similar in power. I believe the GTs have a bit more torque but the 3.7s will run with those older GTs no problem. If not, out run them. People sometimes underestimate these 3.7s not realizing how much power and high revs they're able to put out. Mine redlines at 7k rpms. It was pretty funny when I outran a late 70s vette the other day. Out of the six mustangs I've owned, this 2014 v6 is by far the best. She's quick when I need it, and gets up to 30mpg on the highway. Who wouldn't love it? You'll probably get double the mpg in the sixxer than you did in the diesel.
I really want the mileage, and I think I would be keeping myself in the same boat if I got a V8. 300HP is nothing to scoff at.

I know I am going to miss the hell out of the truck, but let's face it, $3.70 - $4.00 in diesel in a 38 gallon tank? ugh
Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Dieselrob

Originally Posted by Diehard
Regardless of the answers you may get, you'll have to drive one for yourself.
Good luck!
Thank you!

*Didn't know you couldn't edit a previous post"
Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

One major difference, you are going to be doing a lot of shifting-the 3.7 has very little power under 3500 RPM. I notice it the most when I'm on the freeway and have to drop down a few gears in a hurry when a car or truck wanders into my lane. I do not really notice taking off from a complete stop. When you test drive you may want to hit the gas without down shifting and you'll see what I mean. I really love the 3.7 6M combo with the 3.31 rear end.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dieselrob

wow, you got 270k on a 6.0 Powerstroke? I was looking at some a while back and figured it was too risky; they all had just over 100k miles on them so I figured people were dumping them once the 5/100 engine warranty ran out.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Dieselrob

Originally Posted by jz78817
wow, you got 270k on a 6.0 Powerstroke? I was looking at some a while back and figured it was too risky; they all had just over 100k miles on them so I figured people were dumping them once the 5/100 engine warranty ran out.
80k was head gaskets and it has aftermarket egr but yes 270k. It runs fantastic.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Head Gasket went out on mine and it now has ARP Studs and aftermarket head gaskets in it, along with and aftermarket EGR kit and it pulls around its 29,000 pounds almost everyday. Just wish it got 10 MPG instead of the 9.2 MPG. BTW it is a F550 with 4.88.
I put Tuned length Shorty headers on my 3.7, helped out the low to midrange power and not as much downshifting to pick speed up and does not lose speed even on big hills with the cruise on.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:15 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

I'll second the "try driving one" message...I'm certainly glad I did, and I really do like mine better than the V8 (and not just at the pump!).

Also, if 305 HP isn't enough, there's plenty you can do to increase it without a massive budget. I wouldn't call mine a strictly "budget build," but it does surprise plenty of folks with a whole lot more invested in their cars.

There's plenty of info here on the forum, and I'll offer my previous posts on Round 1 and Round 2 as a place to start. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Will this gen V6 be enough power?