Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7 loses power almost stalls. Turn off restart its Ok.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:25 PM
hasenfus21

Default 3.7 loses power almost stalls. Turn off restart its Ok.

Its happened 3 time now. Started when i was very low on gas so i thought I ran out. That's how it acts. Goes to low rpm (500 maybe) but doesn't actually stall and does not respond to more throttle. Fuel filter maybe..? 2013 3.7 auto. 26k miles.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Very strange, have you disconnected the battery recently? I'd disconnect it for a few minutes-then start it and drive around a little. It may have "unlearned" it's settings.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You are under warranty, why don't you go to your dealer of preference so an actual mechanic can look at it and not just a bunch of forum members?

It's not that someone here doesn't have the answer, but it will likely require a trip to the dealer anyways unless you want to pay out of pocket for something.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If this was caused by something the OP did, such as disconnect the battery and not give the ECM time to reset, he may get charged for a service call. I think the OP is wise to get suggestions, but would be a mistake to try to fix things other than a quick reset or something simple.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:07 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
If this was caused by something the OP did, such as disconnect the battery and not give the ECM time to reset, he may get charged for a service call. I think the OP is wise to get suggestions, but would be a mistake to try to fix things other than a quick reset or something simple.
+1...and a simple reset isn't going to cost the OP a warranty or something.

Not sure how much it will help, but it really can't hurt.

OP - any other symptoms? Warning lights, weird gage readings, etc.?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:51 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hasenfus21
Its happened 3 time now. Started when i was very low on gas so i thought I ran out. That's how it acts. Goes to low rpm (500 maybe) but doesn't actually stall and does not respond to more throttle. Fuel filter maybe..? 2013 3.7 auto. 26k miles.
Starting in 2011, Ford has integrated a lifetime fuel filter. Meaning it never has to be changed. This is applicable for the v6 and GT models. The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump module assembly. So, I doubt the filter is the issue.

Are you running the stock tune?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:21 PM
hasenfus21

Stock tune. Wrench light comes on but them goes away after restart. Think i need to take it in to dealer. I bought it used but should still be under warranty being 2013. Thanks for the input
Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

That'd be your best bet. It's most likely a sensor or vacuum leak
Old 02-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I had this happen only once within the first week of owning a brand new 2012 V6 Mustang Coupe. It was when I started it up, it started but, check engine light came on and the car wouldn't rev up enough to take off. I turned the ignition off, opened the door and pulled the key out to turn off all electronics, shut the door, inserted the key, started up and never had the problem since. Sounds like a computer problem. Yeah, maybe the battery disconnect might help. If that doesn't do it, to the dealership for retuning.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:44 AM
hasenfus21

UPDATE>> Went to dealer.. it turned out to be in the intake throttle body / controller. I don't remember the exact description right now. Under warranty and happy about that. It happened again on the short trip to dealer so it was getting worse. At least it would reset by turning off the key for a few seconds so I wasn't completely stranded.

Thanks for all your posts guys...

Quick Reply: 3.7 loses power almost stalls. Turn off restart its Ok.