Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Kinda Slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:54 PM
zexus

Default Kinda Slow

I have a 2014 3.7 premium manual with the track package and according to my track apps I'm running a 6.7 0-60 time. To be honest that was very disappointing. I ended up buying an airaid intake and SCT tuner and dropped in a 91 performance Bama tune. Problem is I'm still getting the same crappy 0-60 times. Is a 6.7 second 0-60 time typical for a manual performance package V6? And if so, shouldn't there be some improvement with the performance tune? Just looking for someone to shed some light on my slow car. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

First, welcome to the foums!

Second, no, first time out, a 6.7 on track apps is not that unsurprising IMHO. Launching the V6 PP cars is VERY technique sensitive, and it's unforgiving. Muck up your launch, and you've lost 1.0 - 1.2 seconds coming out of the hole.

If you have some experience with other cars, think like you are launching a higher RPM small displacement engine, not a large displacement V8. In the V6, there is not enough torque to save your butt if you muck it up. Launch at higher RPMs, change gears as close to the rev limiter as you dare, and don't let up!

Once you get the hang of it, you can match or beat the times you see in the various car mags. But first time out with it, it's a lot harder to do than it looks!

In the threads in my signature line you can find some as-measured power and torque curves. That may help plan your launches from a dead stop, on the roll, etc.

Enjoy! They are really fun cars once you get the hang of them!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

A track package sixer?

The CAI won't do much (anything) for your situation. The tuner will help and you can make little mods here and there to squeeze a few more ponies out of the car. If you wanted V8 performance than you should have bought a GT or budgeted for forced induction. You can easily spend thousands of dollars on so-called bolt ons and still not equal FI or GT performance.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:30 AM
zexus

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
A track package sixer?

The CAI won't do much (anything) for your situation. The tuner will help and you can make little mods here and there to squeeze a few more ponies out of the car. If you wanted V8 performance than you should have bought a GT or budgeted for forced induction. You can easily spend thousands of dollars on so-called bolt ons and still not equal FI or GT performance.
Sorry I meant Performance Package. And I never said I wanted V8 performance...it was just a simple question in regards to 'What I should expect from the car.' Thanks though.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM
zexus

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
First, welcome to the foums!

Second, no, first time out, a 6.7 on track apps is not that unsurprising IMHO. Launching the V6 PP cars is VERY technique sensitive, and it's unforgiving. Muck up your launch, and you've lost 1.0 - 1.2 seconds coming out of the hole.

If you have some experience with other cars, think like you are launching a higher RPM small displacement engine, not a large displacement V8. In the V6, there is not enough torque to save your butt if you muck it up. Launch at higher RPMs, change gears as close to the rev limiter as you dare, and don't let up!

Once you get the hang of it, you can match or beat the times you see in the various car mags. But first time out with it, it's a lot harder to do than it looks!

In the threads in my signature line you can find some as-measured power and torque curves. That may help plan your launches from a dead stop, on the roll, etc.

Enjoy! They are really fun cars once you get the hang of them!
Thanks for your thorough and informative reply. I could be being far too 'gentle' with my shifting points and the launch. I am use to V8 power and could be relying too much on the engine as opposed to the driver. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zexus
Sorry I meant Performance Package. And I never said I wanted V8 performance...it was just a simple question in regards to 'What I should expect from the car.' Thanks though.
Ah, gotcha. The performance package isn't anything huge, just some handling help and better gear ratio. It looks like the automatics can do 0-60 in ~5.8 seconds so some of your 6.7 might be corrected with more time behind the wheel of your car (you didn't mention your experience with manuals and performance driving). Weather, terrain, fuel, ethanol content, octane rating of the fuel you are purchasing, etc etc can all play a factor in your car's performance.

I'm not at all trying to beat up on the V-6 mustangs so I hope I did not give you that impression. It's just that people come here all the time upset with their V6 performance. I think people see a Mustang and just assume they'll leave rubber in 3rd gear, regardless of the powertrain.

Hope this helps some.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:00 PM
zexus

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Ah, gotcha. The performance package isn't anything huge, just some handling help and better gear ratio. It looks like the automatics can do 0-60 in ~5.8 seconds so some of your 6.7 might be corrected with more time behind the wheel of your car (you didn't mention your experience with manuals and performance driving). Weather, terrain, fuel, ethanol content, octane rating of the fuel you are purchasing, etc etc can all play a factor in your car's performance.

I'm not at all trying to beat up on the V-6 mustangs so I hope I did not give you that impression. It's just that people come here all the time upset with their V6 performance. I think people see a Mustang and just assume they'll leave rubber in 3rd gear, regardless of the powertrain.

Hope this helps some.
All's good I too am not trying to complain about my car or any 3.7. I was mostly concerned that I didn't see some kind of improvement after the Bama tune. I guessing I'm at fault for my 0-60 times, so I'll just take advice and keep practicing. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The 6.7 0-60 mph is very weak for a 3.7L. With the proper launch/driving technique it should be easily hitting sub 6 second marks and that's in completely stock form. Practice makes perfect.

If you are simply accelerating from a stand still, that's the problem. To get the best launch you typically need to get the RPM's up a little (to 2000 or 2500 RPM or whatever the ideal RPM is) and don't dump the clutch but don't feather it either. Feathering it will burn out your clutch and dumping it will leave you bogging the motor or spinning you wheels.

After the launch, quick shifting near redline is best. If you bounce off the limiter that's both bad on the engine and bad on your acceleration.

Oh, and turn off traction control.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 PM
zexus

Originally Posted by Derf00
The 6.7 0-60 mph is very weak for a 3.7L. With the proper launch/driving technique it should be easily hitting sub 6 second marks and that's in completely stock form. Practice makes perfect.

If you are simply accelerating from a stand still, that's the problem. To get the best launch you typically need to get the RPM's up a little (to 2000 or 2500 RPM or whatever the ideal RPM is) and don't dump the clutch but don't feather it either. Feathering it will burn out your clutch and dumping it will leave you bogging the motor or spinning you wheels.

After the launch, quick shifting near redline is best. If you bounce off the limiter that's both bad on the engine and bad on your acceleration.

Oh, and turn off traction control.
Okay, it sounds like I suck at technique I need to work my launch and take it past 6000 rpm on my shifts. Will work on this!

Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zexus
Okay, it sounds like I suck at technique I need to work my launch and take it past 6000 rpm on my shifts. Will work on this!

Thanks
Practice, practice, practice. (in a safe area)

Quick Reply: Kinda Slow