Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 next steps?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Linac

OK, action. Got the some BBK shorties in by the end of the week and bolted on for some weekend fun. New gearing maybe next year.

A call to Bama Tunes advised that no engine tune upgrade was needed for the shorties. That simplified things by one step.

So... are they worth it? I mean shorties that don't require a tune, how much can they really add? The answer is a little here, a little there. Throttle response around 2k RPM is noticeably better. That's really what I was looking for, less of a need to downshift when cruising in traffic, a little more fun off the stoplights. Mileage is improved by about 2 MPG, as best as I can tell in the hundred or so miles I have on things right now. If that number holds, it'll pay for the headers over the next couple of years. Finally, the exhaust sound is noticeably improved. The bottom-end rumble is a notch louder, there's a little more noise on fast shifts, and it's overall a tad more raucous.

I'm happy for the moment. I'm sure the upgrade itch will re-surface in a couple of months and I'll be shopping for some gears. Thanks for the input for a new guy everybody. I'll be kicking around on the forum.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

I think you got everything anyone expects out of shorties. They make a nice little add-on. How was the install or did you have someone else do it?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Linac

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
How was the install or did you have someone else do it?
Lacking a garage or even a decent concrete driveway, I had a local shop do it. They charged three hours' worth for the job.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 AM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Linac
Lacking a garage or even a decent concrete driveway, I had a local shop do it. They charged three hours' worth for the job.
That sounds about right...in this car they are pretty easy to change. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 AM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Since you have a tuner switch it from street tune to the race tune. I use the race tune for my daily driving. That may help you and it's free.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Dem Stangs

in my last car i put in a short throw shifter, it made such a huge difference. I personally like the sound of a CAI but shifter would definitely help.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Linac

Windy, Jesse, Dem: thanks all. From the start I've dug the enhanced low-end the street tune gives. Race tune didn't do much until after 3krpm before, which is kind of spicy for around-town driving. But who know, I'll give it a shot this weekend. Now a short-throw shifter, that's a pretty good idea. It'll make it that much easier to get to the ER with a fractured right collarbone (!%#$ mountain bike) like I had to last fall, if I ever have to do that again.

OK, free mods happen first, the rest in good time. Thanks guys.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Linac

Loaded the race tune, but went back to street. Just more fun, things come to life (well, sorta) below 2k.

4th of July run over to FL, Tallahassee area, gave 31 mpg cruising on I-10 at 75-80 mph with the AC going full blast. I'm a happy camper.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:10 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

First, I'm glad you're loving your Mustang. I didn't say this before but if things came alive after 3K, that sounds like you got ahold of a performance tune. That's exactly what they're meant to do. The race tune should give more bottom end than that. I've run the race tune for some time now and really enjoy it. BTW, I'm on an M6. I'm sure the auto would feel different.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:42 PM
SSG Steggy

Man, I'm seeing you guys posting with these hi 20+ and low 30 something MPGs...I must be missing something. I, too, have a '14 V6 MT with Perf PKG 3.31s with 19" wheels and tires, but avg 19-20 mixed and see avg of 26 hwy at 80mph on long trips, NOLA to Houston, NOLA to PCB.

K&N Drop-in, Bama street tune, Summit Racing chambered axle backs (for sale). Typical city driving, I'm shifting at 3K sometimes bring it to 4K, but mostly 3K or right below.

Just ordered MAC Long Tubes for better breathing. Anxious to see the comparison after.

Any thoughts from you guys on the difference you're seeing compared to my mileage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 next steps?