Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 next steps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Linac

Default V6 next steps?

I’m thinking about some additional mods to my ’12 V6, and am looking for some input. It’s a daily driver, stick shift, with a few basic mods to date. I’ll probably never take it to the track, maybe do a backroad drag race a couple of times a year, but mostly… daily driver.

I’m considering shorty headers, leaning toward some MAC ceramics. Don’t want to do a full exhaust job, and shorties are the bolt-on solution. After that, maybe a CAI. The stock airbox with the K&N drop-in I’ve got now seems pretty good. These new parts total to about $700, which is a comfortable budget here. If I start getting into full exhausts, throttle bodies, etc., it’s kind of moving away from daily driver, and more cash than I have in hand at the moment.

Here’s where it sits right now:
- Tune: Bama street tune, off of a Diablo tuner. “Free Tunes for Life,” so re-tuning after mods shouldn’t be a big deal. Came with two other tunes, “performance” and “race”, didn’t much care for either one. They only really mattered north of 3k RPM, which is too spicy for ‘round town driving. But the “street” tune definitely gives it more go off of the stoplights, makes it more fun to drive.
- Borla Touring axle-backs, because glasspacks, ‘nuff said.
- K&N drop-in filter. Seems to help. At least the stock airbox pulls in cold air from the front of the grill, like an aftermarket CAI would.
- SR front shock tower brace really cleaned up the handling. Best mod so far!
- On long interstate trips, it’s getting 30+ mpg, which is nice because I can get places on one tank of gas.

What I want:
- More punch off the stoplight. I don’t care too much about top speed, just want to get to 85 mph ASAP.
- Some more growl would be nice. The Borlas were a big step up from the stock mufflers, way better than a V6 has any right to sound. Maybe shorty headers would add a little.
- Keep, maybe improve the mileage. It is a daily driver, and it’s good to be able to make late night runs to my brother’s place in FL on one tank.
- Extra looks, sure. But that’s pretty low on my list.

One more thing, wheels and tires will have to wait for the next tire change. That’s about a year out, and not in this year’s upgrade round.

So… beyond the shorties and maybe a CAI, any ideas? It’s more about having a fun, slightly raucous daily driver than any kind of serious performance. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

What gears does it have currently?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Linac

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
What gears does it have currently?
Vanilla stock 2.73. A 3.31 or 3.55 would definitely move it off a stoplight quicker, that's worth a lot. After first, does it add anything after that?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:18 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Going to steeper rear end gears will make each transmission gear feel quicker because each trans gear will actually wind up quicker so yes it does "add" after first gear. This means reducing the top speed for each gear too. For example if your first gear tops out at 50, then a steeper gear would top out less but at what speed depends on the ratio selected (3.55s will have a lower top speed than 3.31s). This also means a higher cruising rpm at freeway speeds which can potentially lead to lower fuel economy but by how much I don't know. It could be one or two mpgs, maybe.

Having said that I went from 3.27s to 4.10s in my 99 and the steeper gear is awesome.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I have the 3.31 and the manual trans, great combo. If I had the auto I'd go a little higher, but top speed with the manual in 1st is 38 mph and 2nd is 64 mph, third 98 mph. A higher ration would mean more shifting, especially in 1st and second. I can smoke my 255/45ZR18 Michlelin Pilots all the way through 1st without any problem, not sure going higher would be an advantage. I also like the idea of hitting 60 mph in 2nd.
I easily get 31mpg on road trips at 70 mph and about 29 mpg on trips running 75-80 mph. RPM at 70 mph is about 2,000.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I found a video of a 2.73 manual...looks like first is about 45-48ish. Second could go to almost 80 (shifted early in the video). Those are loooooooooong gears, damn.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:48 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

I put 3.55s in my car and you'll have to shift up very quickly. Like, before you get across a large intersection. On the other hand, 3rd is very useful around town.
I would say to add a new shifter bracket. You'll hit those high RPM shifts much better. Especially that dreaded 1 -> 2 shift. It's worth the 65 bucks and an easy install as long as you can get under your car.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Yea I would say maybe 3.73 gears or a short throw shifter, or both! I think with both, they would be an improvement you would feel instantly.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 AM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

I would forgo the CAI, when I ran my car on the dyno with stock box and filter vs the CAI there was only a difference above 5k and even that was negliable---definitely not worth the expense IMO based on what I saw on the dyno

I too have 3:31 performance pack gearing (19" wheels, not sure on circumf) manual and I like this gearing, possibly I would like 3:55 more, but I can easily get 32-33 on the hiway and routinely average 28 with mixed driving

I guess my point........

I don't think the gearing is going to kill your fuel economy unless you start driving it more aggressively, if you still drive the same the gearing shouldn't have much effect on mileage (much)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Linac

Thanks for the input guys. Still ruminating on this, will have a decision and/or action this weekend.

Quick Reply: V6 next steps?