Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone PLEASE HELP! 'car Red Lines every time I race and won't go down =/

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:03 PM
801_Cyclone

Default Anyone PLEASE HELP! 'car Red Lines every time I race and won't go down =/

2012 3.7 Mustang: So about a month ago I went down to the strip, on my 4th race when we hit the finish line and I let off the gas and put the car in neutral, my car's RPM band automatically shot up to redline and would not go down. I shut the car off and let it coast 'til I was able to get off the track. I ended up switching my tune back to stock and touching the batteries together to see if that would fix the problem.... It didn't =/. So since I had an aftermarket BBK 73mm throttle body on it I thought that was is so I ran home to get my stock throttle body and threw it back on my car and the problem was fixed instantly. So I have been running my stock tune with the stock throttle body for about a month now cuz I'm waiting on other parts w/new tunes. Yesterday I'm driving home and some a-hole keeps insisting to race so finally at a stop light we do and we take off(keep in mind, still on my stock tune/stock throttle body). I got to 3rd gear when he stopped so i let off the gas and went to shift into 4th when my car shot BACK UP to RED LINE AGAIN..... Immediately shut it off and let it cruise into a parking lot tried to turn it back on and it shot up again immediately to red line as soon as I started the car so I turned it off. Was there waiting a couple minutes trying to think what I was going to do, finally as I'm calling for a tow I decide to try one more time and I did and it started up normal. Drove it home but now I'm wondering what this could be??? Any ideas/insight would be MUCH APPRECIATED and HELPFUL.
Oh and also, every time I drive it and shift above 3500-4000 RPM's, when I engage the clutch and the engine goes into neutral my RPM'S will go slightly up before coming down if that makes sense while making a gear change.

Current "performance" mods: Airaid Cold Air Intake, Steeda Throttle Body Spacer, BBK shorty headers(ceramic), Ford Racing 3.73 gears, Roush Axlebacks, SCT Livewire TS Tuner

Other misc. mods: Barton 2-post bracket shifter, BBR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR Adj. panhard bar, Eibach Sportline springs, Raxiom smoked headlights, Roush side splitters, GT500 Rear diffuser, Offroad H-Pipe(waiting to be installed), Steeda CAI (Ordered but waiting on steeda to get in stock and ship), MPT Ghost cam tune(have but waiting for Steeda cai so I can install both CAI and offroad midpipe)
Old 06-14-2015, 01:57 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Hmm. Is there any possible way that the pedal is getting wedged between the floor mat? Causing it not to release all the way possibly.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:44 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Hmm. Is there any possible way that the pedal is getting wedged between the floor mat? Causing it not to release all the way possibly.
That's not a horrible first guess...and super easy to check.

After that, any obvious issues with the TB connector cable? Maybe it's sending a faulty position to the ECU? To check, plug your tuner in and see what the TB and Pedal Position sensors are reading. They should be rock steady at idle with your foot off the gas. If that passes, stab the pedal (in then out quickly) so that the RPM surges over 4000, and see what the sensor values are doing then.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM
801_Cyclone

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
That's not a horrible first guess...and super easy to check.

After that, any obvious issues with the TB connector cable? Maybe it's sending a faulty position to the ECU? To check, plug your tuner in and see what the TB and Pedal Position sensors are reading. They should be rock steady at idle with your foot off the gas. If that passes, stab the pedal (in then out quickly) so that the RPM surges over 4000, and see what the sensor values are doing then.
Yeah I tried that with hooking up the tuner and getting it to read the Pedal Position sensors and it was steady at idle and it was also a pretty steady reading when I stabbed the pedal down almost up to redline. It didn't get stuck either and I also drove it just around the block doing little 1st to 2nd gear pulls and it wouldn't get stuck like that either so it seems like its only doing it every once in a while =/. Which is going to make it twice as hard to figure out what it is exactly if its only doing it every now and then
Old 07-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

just wondering man, have you fixed your problem?