Top Speed? - MustangForums.com

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 3.7L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Top Speed?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Grabber Blue Performance Pack
newedgestang2000
Default Top Speed?

And before y'all go off, no, I do not want to find out the top speed on the highway lol. I'm not that stupid. But I was curious because I read somewhere the top speed of the 2014 Performance Pack 3.7 was 112? The reason they said was because of the driveshaft... I mean I got my measly 3.8 newedge probably making the best of 120 rwhp up to 115 (closed course of course :P ). Is this really true? :O Say it ain't so!

"Whenever I'm suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry. That sets me right off" - Clarkson 1:2
Mobiusone stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

the car can easily go faster than 112 mph but the top speed is typically limited for one specific reason and one speculative reason (in the case of the mustang 3.7L).

Specific reason:
OEM Tire capabilities although I would think with the Performance pack that is no longer an issue and,

Speculative reason:
Driveshaft - There has only been one documented driveshaft failure and several studies done that come to a theoretical conclusion but never actually show a definitive failure. This was also only on the 2010/2011 where it was an issue, haven't heard about 2012+ models.

Besides, aside from a closed course, where else can you safely/legally reach the top speed? Plus if you're going to be tracking the car you would get a tune anyway that can easily remove the speed limiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang View Post
And before y'all go off, no, I do not want to find out the top speed on the highway lol. I'm not that stupid. But I was curious because I read somewhere the top speed of the 2014 Performance Pack 3.7 was 112? The reason they said was because of the driveshaft... I mean I got my measly 3.8 newedge probably making the best of 120 rwhp up to 115 (closed course of course :P ). Is this really true? :O Say it ain't so!
The top speed of the 3.7 is definitely higher than 112. Unfortunately, Ford is running a 2-piece driveshaft for a number of reasons, and at higher speeds, the 2 piece gets out of whack and ends up "exploding" under force. (see video below ) Therefore, Ford governs the 3.7 at 112. Change out the 2piece ds to a 1piece, get a new tune to take off the governor, and a decent set of tires, and I'm sure you can see upwards of 150. I'm not responsible for any damage that might occur if you decide to do this :P

AirAid CAI, Bama Tune, 73mm BBK TB, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/2-post Bracket, Stainless Steel Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, Dynotech One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP shocks/struts, 20" AMRs
yourmom6990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang Premium 3.7 6 Speed Manual

Just looked at my Garmin "max speed" shows 112 mph.
Nitto 255/45ZR18 Tires
H&R Sport Front and Rear Sway Bar
J&M lower control arms
TMI adjustable tilt headrests
Gaslock LED Shift ****
Shelby door subs
Sony 200W amp

2009 Solstice GXP Turbo
2013 F150 XLT 4X4
Chromeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Grabber Blue Performance Pack
newedgestang2000

Yea i've seen that video!! Tbh, the fastest ive gone is 100, and I was trying to pass a guy and didnt realize my speed... whoops! haha. But thats great to know it really isnt, just a tune and a new shaft (dirty joke somewhere in there)!

"Whenever I'm suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry. That sets me right off" - Clarkson 1:2
Mobiusone stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Aluminum driveshaft, plus engine mods shown, reprogrammed ECU, on a track, will easily blow past 115. In 4th. Still winding hard.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
13V6coupe
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6coupe Performance package

upper 140's is the most I have seen (pre the headers) but it was still climbing albeit not real fast and I have zero doubt something in the 150's is attainable
But I did this post the driveshaft change just for caution- since I saw the video as well and heard tons of rampant claims of them gernading while driving, yet only that one case keeps surfacing---a few people have lost them on the dyno though.

my car is barely changed from a stock performance package....see list in signature line
Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft
Eibach Pro springs -1.125"
Koni yellows
Adjustable panhard bar
Adjustable UPR
Trailer hitch
Boss stripe kit and tinted windows
BBK short tube headers
13V6coupe is offline   Reply With Quote