Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

HOW TO: Changing Transmission Fluid on MT82 Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Default HOW TO: Changing Transmission Fluid on MT82 Manual Transmission

I have decided to do a write up for those who want to change out the crappy stock fluid.

Keep in mind, this is for a 14' V6 with the MT82 trans. There may be subtle differences between those with different years/models.
Also, this is the method that worked for me and I'm sure there are different ways to go about this, please don't be critical unless it's something of value. Thanks.

As for choosing the transmission fluid, this is completely preference but I decided to go with Royal Purple Synchromax. There are other options out there that some may prefer over the other, but this is all subjective.

Tools you will need:
Jack & Jack stands / Ramps (I had to use both due to the incline on my driveway)
8mm Allen Wrench (or 5/16)
Small Hammer
Paper clip (to check fluid level)
Multi-use fluid pump
Drain pan (or milk jug.. just make sure it can hold AT LEAST 3 quarts)
Towels/shop rags

Before changing fluid, make sure your trans is slightly warm for the fluid to flow easier. Go for a quick cruise around the block if needed.

Step 1:
Make sure you have your car on a level surface. If you have a lift, this will make the process a whole lot easier! If you have an inclined/declined driveway like I do, improvise with ramps/jackstands to level the car off. Once the car is up in the air and level, it should look something like this:

Step 2:
Once you have the car off of the ground, level, and properly supported by jackstands/ramps or a lift, Locate the transmission Fill plug and Drain plug. Ford was courteous and labeled which one is which. The Fill plug is located on the passenger side of the transmission. The Drain plug is located at the very bottom of the transmission. I have circled the FILL plug in RED and the DRAIN plug in BLUE:

Notice the plugs have been labeled:

Step 3:
Once you have located the plugs, it is time to remove them. Remove the FILL plug FIRST! You will need an 8mm allen wrench (I used a 5/16)

Once inserted the allen wrench into the plug, I used a hammer to tap it loose. No fluid will come out so don't worry about needing the drain pan. Once you have the FILL plug out, remove the DRAIN plug repeating the same process above by tapping it loose. You might have to give it a couple good whacks because it is on there pretty tight. Once the DRAIN plug is loose, get your drain pan ready! (I used a milk carton sized 1 gallon and cut the top off):

I waited about 15minutes for the fluid to drain completely just to be safe. The MT82 trans takes 2.7quarts of fluid so be sure that your drain pan/milk jug is larger than 3 quarts.

Once the fluid has completely drained, be sure to thread the drain plug back into the transmission. After I tightened the plug by hand, I used the hammer and gave the allen wrench a few good whacks to make sure it sealed properly.

Step 4:
This is where a pump will be useful. I found a hand pump at Home Depot for $9 made by Pennzoil in the auto section and it worked GREAT! Recommend using this product, or something similar:

Follow the instructions on the packaging to set up the pump and get ready to transfer the fluid. I've also seen people run a hose from the FILL hole into the interior of their car and fill it that way. I don't like this because you risk getting fluid in your car and it can get very messy. Which ever way you choose, good luck.

As mentioned above, the MT82 trans takes 2.7 quarts of fluid so be sure to pick up 3 quarts of your desired transmission fluid. Once your pump is set up, make sure the discharge hose is properly inserted into the transmission FILL hole. This took a little bit of force as the hose was very slightly larger than the opening. Make sure to insert the hose at least 2-3inches into the opening so none of the fluid spills out. Insert the intake hose into one of the bottles of desired fluid and start pumping!:

Be sure to go slow enough so that the discharge hose does not get pushed out of the FILL hole on the transmission. Also, once you start getting to the end of the bottle, make sure to support the bottle so it does not tip over. An extra set of hands would be helpful here, but it is not necessary.

Continue pumping until two of the three bottles have been successfully transferred into the transmission.

Step 5:
Once you have transferred 2 of the 3 bottles of fluid, you are going to need to take out .3 quarts of fluid from the last bottle.
Here is a break down to further understand how much .3 quarts is..
1 quart = 32 ounces
32 ounces divided by 10 (ten tenths in a whole) = 3.2
3.2 ounces = .1 quart
3.2 ounces x 3 = 9.6 ounces
9.6 ounces = .3 quarts

So, we have to remove roughly 9.6 ounces from the last quart of fluid. I made this very simple for those who are no good with math.. 1 cup = 8 ounces. I got a measuring cup (1 cup) from my kitchen and poured the bottle of fluid into the cup and filled it to the brim: This would then leave me with roughly 1.5ounces of extra fluid. The reason I did this is because there is some fluid that is left behind in the "empty" bottles as well as the left over fluid in the pump that did not make it to the transmission.

Pump the remaining .7 quarts into the transmission and then remove the discharge hose from the FILL hole and wipe off any fluid that drips on the housing.

Once the 2.7 quarts have been transferred, I used a paperclip and bent it in order to check the fluid because there is no way I'm getting my finger in there:

Make sure the fluid is about a half inch below the fill hole.

Reinstall the FILL plug into the transmission and tighten properly as mentioned previously by giving the allen wrench a few good whacks.

Double check to make sure the plugs are properly secured.

Step 6:
After double checking that the FILL plug and DRAIN plug are tight, properly remove the jack stands / ramps from under your car.

Start your Mustang and HEAR HER ROARRRR!!! :lol:

Before test driving, shift through all of the gears (reverse included) a couple times to be sure the fluid has been properly circulated.

I cruised mine for a bit and took it on the highway to bang all of the gears and make sure everything felt right.

I was impressed by the noticeable smoothness when shifting. Shifts feel a heck of a lot better than with the stock fluid. Seems to glide into gear a lot easier. Took me about an hour and a half from start to finish.

I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to yourself or your mustang.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

nice write up, so it really made THAT big of a difference in shifting?
Old 10-14-2015, 10:08 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
nice write up, so it really made THAT big of a difference in shifting?
In combination with a short shifter, stainless steel clutch line, whiteline trans bushing, and barton 2-post shifter bracket... yes. Just another "must have" in order to clean up the sloppiness of the MT82.