Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuner/CAI worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 PM
jordanair45
1st Gear Member

Default Tuner/CAI worth it?

To anyone that has the bama tune/CAI combo, is it really worth the $?

I mean, it's $550-$750, depending on what you go with.

Does anyone regret it?

I am thinking about going with one for my 3.7, but for the $, I just wondering if getting some headers, throttle body, x pipe, etc will be a better, worthwhile investment.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I don't have the combo, I had my tuner first on my 2010 but also have a CAI. It was bought to make the under hood look better since there is very little if any extra benefit from it.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:46 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default 2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

Just buy an Airaid "tube" & drop-in aFe inverted filter $150.00 and get an MPT tune. Also buy a UPR catch can if you don't have one now.
Attached Thumbnails Tuner/CAI worth it?-tn_upr-catch-can-007.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I bought the CAI/Bama tune combo and don't regret it one bit. Instant accelleration. Just getting rid of the lag was worth it to me. I'm running the 93R tune and it drives even better than used to with the new V2 tunes.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:09 AM
jordanair45
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
Just buy an Airaid "tube" & drop-in aFe inverted filter $150.00 and get an MPT tune. Also buy a UPR catch can if you don't have one now.
That is a brilliant idea! Maybe I'll go with this and a tune.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ucinn
I bought the CAI/Bama tune combo and don't regret it one bit. Instant accelleration. Just getting rid of the lag was worth it to me. I'm running the 93R tune and it drives even better than used to with the new V2 tunes.
ucinn, I have the same as you, I also got the new 93 v2 tune, and went back to the 93 R tune, mucho better
Old 03-05-2016, 04:48 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

I'm running the Steeda CAI and tune and would highly recommend it! The links in my signature will give more info on mods you can probably do yourself too, saving on labor costs.

Someone once said "Speed costs money, so how fast do you wanna pay?" Parts ain't cheap, but if you feel up to doing the labor the gains can be amazing!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM
jordanair45
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
I'm running the Steeda CAI and tune and would highly recommend it! The links in my signature will give more info on mods you can probably do yourself too, saving on labor costs.

Someone once said "Speed costs money, so how fast do you wanna pay?" Parts ain't cheap, but if you feel up to doing the labor the gains can be amazing!
Very nice write up!

I just bought the AirRaid MIT and AFE filter mentioned above, arriving from Amazon tomorrow.

I am now deciding on a tune, and you post has been very helpful. Thank You for that.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:27 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

I bought the CAI before I bought the tune.

The CAI didn't make any difference in how the 3.7 lags. It just improves the sound of the intake and the exhaust.

Once I got the tune I could tell a big difference from the stock tune. No more lag and better shifting on my auto trans. It was like night and day.

If I were to do it all again I would skip the CAI and just get a tune. There is a reason some CAI say no tune needed. It doesn't change anything but the sound.

They sell the combo to make you think you need both but you don't.

I have a Bama V2 91 octane race tune from American Muscle and I am very pleased with it.

You get tunes for life so if you get any other mods that require a new tune you are covered.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:15 PM
jordanair45
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jesse1125
I bought the CAI before I bought the tune.

The CAI didn't make any difference in how the 3.7 lags. It just improves the sound of the intake and the exhaust.

Once I got the tune I could tell a big difference from the stock tune. No more lag and better shifting on my auto trans. It was like night and day.

If I were to do it all again I would skip the CAI and just get a tune. There is a reason some CAI say no tune needed. It doesn't change anything but the sound.

They sell the combo to make you think you need both but you don't.

I have a Bama V2 91 octane race tune from American Muscle and I am very pleased with it.

You get tunes for life so if you get any other mods that require a new tune you are covered.
Yup, I believe that also. I have a GT500 front style grille, so I just upgraded to the Airaid MIT, it doesn't seem like I have to "step" on it as much to get it going, throttle response seems a lot smoother, might just be psychological. But I don't see how something so minor can have such a big difference. But, with the hi flow grille and a smoother tubing, more direct shot, same diameter however, I don't see how it could hurt for $100. It made the engine look a whole lot better.

At first the car computer was showing a lot more airflow, but then the computer adjusted to keep it @ stock levels. Man, these new engines really suck, you don't get any benefit from any bolt ons without a tune because it is so computer controlled.

I am going with a tune next, and I am going with a BAMA tune from AM.com, just waiting for the next sale . Hopefully will be able to order soon.

Last edited by jordanair45; 03-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuner/CAI worth it?