Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK X-pipe made car slow AF (help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 PM
thatseattlefan

Default BBK X-pipe made car slow AF (help)

Okay so i ordered A BAMA tuner and a BBK x pipe (im completely stock besides pypes axelbacks and suspension) After installing the x pipe ( without even taking the bama tuner out of the box) i took it for a cruise and then started hitting it. NO bottom end TQ at all!!!! i was expecting a little loss but not that even with 2.73 gears 1st and 2nd still smack your head against the seat or the passengers and thats completely gone. so i uploaded the 91 race tune and have drove 300+ miles on it and honestly still no difference it did nothing. I also lost top end TQ as well. Whats going on? could this be a bad tune on BAMA? or did i really lose that much back pressure by deleting the cats? will supporting mods help such as a CAI and bigger Throttle body or am i waisting my time. Im looking at making the most out of my 3.7 Honestly really upset i thought the bama tune really woke these cars up
Old 04-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

These cars need back pressure, so opening it up might have made you loose a lot of the lower end.
CAI is an appearance mod in my book, unless you are getting something that needs a tune it is doing nothing.
Also you might want to call up BAMA, they might want you to send them a data log.
There is a guy that goes to our local cruise in here that said just removing the resonators cost him between 1-2 tenths on his 60 foot times at the strip.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:32 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...stupid question....what is your air/fuel ratio doing? On some cars you can get to in via the gage display in the center of the main dashboard...
Old 04-16-2016, 10:17 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

unless you have dyno numbers to support your claims of loss of power, it is most likely an imagined loss, as you have no basis for you claim.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:24 PM
thatseattlefan

Originally Posted by jwog666
unless you have dyno numbers to support your claims of loss of power, it is most likely an imagined loss, as you have no basis for you claim.

I have run multiple 20-80 20-100 and 40-80 40-100 (mph) test on the stock tune and stock exhaust and on the xpipe and then Xpipe and BAMA tune: so I do have a."basis" once the X pipe was installed it lowered all those time and the BAMA tune was loaded and the times remained the same ( slower than stock) I decided to throw the X pipe on a shelf but yet I'm still running slower times on the BAMA tune than stock. statement being spent $650 to make my car not only feel slow to me, and my passengers but actually result in slower times. Honestly time to get rid of this 3.7 and get another 1.3 liters
Old 04-19-2016, 04:25 PM
thatseattlefan

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
Hmmm...stupid question....what is your air/fuel ratio doing? On some cars you can get to in via the gage display in the center of the main dashboard...
I would have to look after look although the X pipe is no longer installed
Old 04-21-2016, 07:39 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thatseattlefan
I would have to look after look although the X pipe is no longer installed
Ah...well, no worries then. Sometimes you can get some flaky control responses when the O2 sensor leads are reversed, which is easier to do than it should be!

Hope things are getting better for ya!
Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 PM
jordanair45
1st Gear Member

Same thing happened to my car, but I have an X pipe with cats.

However, I also put on bigger/heavier wheels. I have the same exact setup as you.

It made it about 6/10ths of 1 second slower.

I'm installing shorty headers next weekend, hopefully that helps a bit.

Like Siber mentioned, might have removed too much back pressure, but I do enjoy the sound a lot more otherwise.

Last edited by jordanair45; 04-24-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM
thatseattlefan

Default Please please please let me know

Originally Posted by jordanair45
Same thing happened to my car, but I have an X pipe with cats.

However, I also put on bigger/heavier wheels. I have the same exact setup as you.

It made it about 6/10ths slower.

I'm installing shorty headers next weekend, hopefully that helps a bit.

Like Siber mentioned, might have removed too much back pressure, but I do enjoy the sound a lot more otherwise.
I would like to know if these headers helped please let me know if anything changes as soon as you did it. Also did you have a BAMA tune?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:33 PM
jordanair45
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thatseattlefan
I would like to know if these headers helped please let me know if anything changes as soon as you did it. Also did you have a BAMA tune?
Yes, I run the performance tune. Haven't gotten #'s with the Race tune, but will do so before/after headers and keep you updated.

You contacted bama for an updated tune for your parts, correct? Are you running the X-Pipe w/o a tune?

Quick Reply: BBK X-pipe made car slow AF (help)