Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help needed with speed limiter and IDS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The owner probably doesn't want to go to the dealer because they have probably already told him that they cannot not disable it unless he buys a Ford Procal tune (equivalent Ford Racing product to the SCT or Diablo tuners). For what you get, there are better options as already mentioned.

Good luck with her/him.

Out of curiosity, what speed is the limiter set at? I assume it's the factory one.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:36 PM
threepwood

Originally Posted by Derf00
The owner probably doesn't want to go to the dealer because they have probably already told him that they cannot not disable it unless he buys a Ford Procal tune (equivalent Ford Racing product to the SCT or Diablo tuners). For what you get, there are better options as already mentioned.

Good luck with her/him.

Out of curiosity, what speed is the limiter set at? I assume it's the factory one.
Things are a little more complicated than that, i didn't list ALL the details to keep it short.

The whole story is happening in Italy (Europe) and the guy keeps saying he bought the car new from a FL dealership and it was unlocked (with no speed limiter).
Then he took it to the Dealership (italian) for the regular tune up and the technician insisted to run the diagnosis.

He also told me that after the update he got at the dealership the car was even more limited than it is now so he drove back there and the technicians were very confused. They played hours with the car and then they came up with a 180km/h limiter (which sound so much like the 111mph stock limit on that model).
So he complained about it and they told him there was nothing they could do.

When i'm in Italy i work a lot on american cars because in Europe cars are totally different and ppl cannot find shops able to retrieve parts and provide the right service.

However i found that IDS is the same software worldwide and you can work on all Fords with that. The only thing that changes is the way cars are configured (not extremely different) but Ford technicians here in Italy are not well trained so to avoid problems and damages they prefer to lie and say they can't work on american models or that they are unable to conclude the task.

Hence he called me and this is the whole story, sorry for being so long.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:37 PM
threepwood

Originally Posted by jwog666
i edited my revious post^^^^^^^
Thank you!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

no problem, sounds like an interesting way to wrench for a living lol. never thought about repairing american cars overseas
Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by threepwood
Things are a little more complicated than that, i didn't list ALL the details to keep it short.

The whole story is happening in Italy (Europe) and the guy keeps saying he bought the car new from a FL dealership and it was unlocked (with no speed limiter).
Then he took it to the Dealership (italian) for the regular tune up and the technician insisted to run the diagnosis.

He also told me that after the update he got at the dealership the car was even more limited than it is now so he drove back there and the technicians were very confused. They played hours with the car and then they came up with a 180km/h limiter (which sound so much like the 111mph stock limit on that model).
So he complained about it and they told him there was nothing they could do.

When i'm in Italy i work a lot on american cars because in Europe cars are totally different and ppl cannot find shops able to retrieve parts and provide the right service.

However i found that IDS is the same software worldwide and you can work on all Fords with that. The only thing that changes is the way cars are configured (not extremely different) but Ford technicians here in Italy are not well trained so to avoid problems and damages they prefer to lie and say they can't work on american models or that they are unable to conclude the task.

Hence he called me and this is the whole story, sorry for being so long.

Okkay, I understand better now. Is he the original owner of the vehicle? If not, the car he originally bought most likely had an aftermarket tune on it as previously mentioned. Almost all aftermarket tunes remove the speed limiters.

When the Italian dealer scanned the car, they probably flashed the PCM to the most current version, this would've deleted the aftermarket tune and put the stock limiter back on.

I know Jwogg already hashed this out.

yeah, aftermarket tuner is really the only way to go at this point if it can't be modified by Ford's own diagnostic software. I wonder what software the Ford Procal tool uses or if it even has the limiter disabled?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:06 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i dont think that the procal disables the limiter, all the dealer FRPP kits that use the procal that i have seen are pretty basic, except for the add on superchargers. but the main reason the speed limiter exists is that it lmits the speed to match the speed rating of the equipped tires, its all about liability.