Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Throttle body or mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Default Throttle body or mufflers?

Hey guys, new to the forum, and mustangs. Moved to fl. After retiring and bought myself a 2012 3.7 vert. For some weekend fun with the wife. Not being much of a car guy, I'm trying to learn. I'm pretty much a hands on guy, but never with cars. In the last few weeks I did install a airaid CAI, and oil separater. My next purchase will be either a BBK throttle or axle backs, (magnaflow street). Just wanted to know what you guys think I should do first? Just want a little pep. And a little better sound. I am 59, so just look for a fun car to drive!! Thanks in advance guys, all opinions are appreciated!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:07 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Go with the axle backs. Don't know much about the 3.7 but in general adding a larger throttle body to a otherwise stock engine won't really produce the results you are looking for. Putting more air and fuel in doesn't do much good without better flowing heads, intakes, and exhaust. Many on this forum will recommend a downloaded tune of some sort if available and that coupled with your CAI and exhaust will produce some of the results your are looking for.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

mag streets(youll love the sound)and a tune, youll be surprised what the tune gives you, I tryed all the tunes and really like the race tune the most.CAI, if you want to , some guys will say you don't need it, but I love the sound, have fun
Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Ok, so I'll do the magnaflows first! must I do the tune at the same time or can I hold off on the for a while? Like I said, I'm new to all of this. I really appreciate the input guys!!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:22 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

You can do the tune anytime.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thank you!!!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

One other thing guys, are the magnaflow axle back street really an easy install? I am handy, but never worked on cars. Just a little worried about doing something I never did before!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:02 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I'm 63 years old and disabled. I have Magnaflow competitions (straight pipes) and Magnaflow Street series. I change them out a couple times a year, just for the change.

youtube should have a lot of videos on how to change the axle backs. I like to back up on a set of ramps (rear wheels), makes it a lot easier
Old 08-05-2016, 06:21 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

mufflers
Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Wow! Pretty impressive Dave, but I'm just worried because if anything can go wrong, it will with my installation. And being that I have no experience with working on car's,I'm a little nervous. I did find a shop that carries magnaflow street, and gave me a price installed, cheaper than I can get them for, so I'm thinking it a no brainier. So maybe I'll give them a shot at doing it right.

Quick Reply: Throttle body or mufflers?