4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Rotten Egg smell from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
ontariogt
1st Gear Member

Default Rotten Egg smell from exhaust

Hello to all

I have a question, I just changed my exhaust system on my 2000 GT. My headers are full length and I changed to a BBK x pipe system with cats. I know that these are high flow cats. I just starting getting this smell after I took out the Ford system. Is it the Cats that I got aren't as good todo what they are suppose to do because they are free flowing? Will this effect my emissions? Should I be concerned? Isit a tuning issue which I will be doing very shortly and that rectify the smell? I am not getting anything in theoil or anything and has anyone had this problem...

Any help wouldbe appriciated
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rotten Egg smell from exhaust

Bad cats or maybe your A.I.R. tube isnt hooked up. It needs to be. If your AIR tube isnt hooked up it can cause your cats to plug up relatively quickly. The only realy way to unplug em, believe or not, is drive the wheels off your car. Get em nice and hot, then the carbon will come off.
But rotten egg smell (sulfur) is usually an indication of bad cats.
-P.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:46 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

Bad cats......Clogged usually. After you run for awhile (operating temp) pop the hood and see if your headres are glowing red (or your cats)...DEAD give away.

Later
Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Bad cats or maybe your A.I.R. tube isnt hooked up. It needs to be. If your AIR tube isnt hooked up it can cause your cats to plug up relatively quickly. The only realy way to unplug em, believe or not, is drive the wheels off your car. Get em nice and hot, then the carbon will come off.
But rotten egg smell (sulfur) is usually an indication of bad cats.
-P.
99+ dont have the AIR tube. I dont know when ford stopped doing that on mustangs, but im 100% sure the 99 and up dont have it. But yea, the rotten egg smell means yours cats are bad.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

hey did you just fill your tank up when u put those on, cause if you did you might just have bad gas, i remember i filled up one time in my truck and it smelled like sheps *** when i drove lol.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

hydrogen sulfide = rotten egg smell

There's sulfur in fuel additives; your engine isn't burning it completely and your catalytic converter is storing it and then releasing it as hydrogen sulfide when you add load to the engine and force more air through. But the "rotten egg" sulfur smell is usually generated by high temperatures in the catalytic converter caused by excess unburned fuel going through the exhaust. The converter oxidizes this fuel, which generates the heat, and the high heat generates the smell. An occasional whiff of this smell upon start-up or momentarily at idle isn't necessarily a problem
Old 05-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

hydrogen sulfide = rotten egg smell

There's sulfur in fuel additives; your engine isn't burning it completely and your catalytic converter is storing it and then releasing it as hydrogen sulfide when you add load to the engine and force more air through. But the "rotten egg" sulfur smell is usually generated by high temperatures in the catalytic converter caused by excess unburned fuel going through the exhaust. The converter oxidizes this fuel, which generates the heat, and the high heat generates the smell. An occasional whiff of this smell upon start-up or momentarily at idle isn't necessarily a problem
Translated:
In other words you could be running rich which on start up is not a big deal as your emissions system is in an open loop mode. If the problem persists then you could have bad cats or your02 sensors may need to be replaced.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:33 AM
ontariogt
1st Gear Member

I just put these on two weeks ago, it only does this under 75% and up throttle. Perfect on 75% or less throttle like light to light daily driving. So if this is the case I should contact BBK to replace these and a tune will not fix this as for running rich I know thats better then lean "phew"!!! Thanks for all your input I appriciate it....And I should have been on this forum years ago....
Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 AM
ontariogt
1st Gear Member

As well as new o2 sensors