rly_stupid
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 5.8 conversion

thanks a million!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:30 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Last edited by w8less; 12-05-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 PM
simplyconnected

Default RE: 5.8 ( 351W) conversion

Want a site from folks that have done LOTS of these 351W swaps? They did my conversion, and I beat the hell out of my 351 Mustang for EIGHT YEARS! It's real strong, and the very thing that Cobra-R's are based on.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/water..._nut_bolt.html

These guys started as mechanics in a suburban Detroit Ford dealership. They do excellent work, and I highly recommend them to anyone. No, I am not related in any way.

I started withmy 1990 GT convertible w/AOD, a Ford crate 351WLightning roller cam short block, added Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads (.202 valves and milled 1/2"), and used many of my 5.0 parts. I kept my EFI, and just swapped injector wires at the harness plug, for the correct fireing order, whichcost NOTHING. I bought a new cowl hood, General Kinetics Cam, A/C bracket, injectors, oil pan kit, Crane rocker arms, larger rocker covers, distributor w/steel gear, flex plate, double roller chain set, longer headers, athree core radiator,and larger intake. Add ARP bolts for a 351 and a gasket set, and it's serious race time!

SAFETY NOTE: This is not a car you let your kids take out on aweekend night. You might as well **** a handgun and let them play with it. It is for good, experienced, drivers, who know their car as an extension of their body. Serious business, do not let just anyone drive it!

It sounds simple enough, but there are a few changes I should have made. I kept the mechanical fan (BIG MISTAKE). After about a year of raising hell and beating everyone up, one day I jumped on it. I got through first, and second (sometimes it happens so fast you can't tell because the tires are still trying to hook), but whenit shiftedto third, the fan twisted the water pump shaft IN HALF,causing the fan to tear a nasty hole in my composite hood. Think about what I just wrote... the engine is doing 6,000 rpm, the trans shifts, and that mechanical fan actsjust likeanother FLYWHEEL, driving the serpentine belt through a little water pump shaft.

The sound was horrible. But the351 suffered NO damage. That mistake cost me a new water pump, radiator, and cowl hood (painted) When I went with an electric fan, all my problems went away, and I continued to tear 'em up every day, for many years.

Today, that 351W is in my 1955 Ford Customline. The Mustang's bodycouldn't take more than 16 Michigan winters,before itrotted away. But buying and converting that engine, was the best (and cheapest) thing I ever did. The fond memory of my 1990 Mustang still live on, every time I startmy '55 Ford.

Dave Dare (248) 544-8834
Electrician, Ford Motor Company
Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
warpedsc
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 5.8 ( 351W) conversion

im just wondering if ican use the truck fuel rails and just hook into my fuel lines that way instead of changing my lines around? i've got the great 2.3L in the car and really dont want to swap out the fuel lines all the way to the back of the car
Old 10-15-2007, 11:12 AM
beau357

Just a note on the stock fuel rails- My experience with a Prof. Prod. Typhoon lower Int. - They will not work. This may be true for others as well. I tried it to save money and they leaked fuel. Upon inspection, I happened to notice that the stock 5.0 Lower inj. ports as well as the fuel rail bungs are set at a slightangle. The new intake are straight up and down. It will fit and is real hard to notice, but will leak fuel. I would recomend getting a new high volume fuel rail set-up as I did. Any higher HP motor will neednew onesanyway.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 PM
warpedsc
1st Gear Member

sorry but i forgot to say that im dropping in a 351. Thats the reason why i asked if the truck rails will work.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 AM
88white5.0
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking strongly of doing a 351w swap into my 5.0 after i get out of wyo tech. so tell me this. my car is a carbed track car runnung a wimpy lil 308, what if i were to get a nice brand new pro bullet 357w short block from D.S.S racing. then i can take all the guess work out of it. and finding blocks and all that BS. and just get a nice enw oil pan. also would my march serpentine setup work on the 351? and basically all else i would need was a new intake. correct?

in short. i can buy the short block. throw my performer rpms on it. get a new intake throw a new cam in it, pop my carb in it and a new oil pan and call it a day????? hopefully..
Old 10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
beau357

The truck rails should work. Where you can get into trouble is swapping after marktet intakes like I did. However, usually the 4 cyl lines are real small and will not support much horespower (1/4"??). What I did on my mustang was used the stock fuel lines up to the rails, and just put on a high volume fuel rail set up (professional products).But, my 351 is almost 500HP. You could always try it and if it starves for fuel then you will have to put bigger lines all the way back. I would recommend 3/8" lines at a minimum for a 351 unless it is a stock slug.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
beau357

For the most part, your 351 swap should work. You would have to drill out the head bolt holes and get new head bolts since they are larger on a 351. I re-used my serpentine belts but had to get a different belt. You may need the FRPP A/C- PS brackets as well. The big kicker is the headers. A 351 really benefits from a good set of headers. It sure helps it breathe better. The 302 LT's will not work. They hit the floor pan. My BBK ceramic coated 351 Swap headers cost me close to $500!! But they are 1 3/4" primaries. I am not sure if 302 shorties would work, but most of them are 1 1/2" anyway and would hender exhaust flow. On the oil pan, you would need the p/u tube as well. I just got the FRPP oil pan kit. It includes everything. It's only a 5 qt but you can do like I did and add an externaloil cooler to make up extra capacity. If you even need it- that is.

Quick Reply: 5.8 conversion