351 Mustang

351 in an SN95

Old 05-07-2006, 07:35 PM
knucklefux
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 351 in an SN95

also, you don't want to use a 93 cobra intake on a 351 anyway...waaay too restrictive for the cubes. i have, however, come up with the solution for your hood clearance issues. coast high performance (www.coasthigh.com) has a carbureted intake (victor jr) with injector bungs and fuel rails on it, and an elbow that you can attach a throttle body to. it goes for about $750, and should prvide more hood clearance. you just needa a cai and an ecm programmer, and the 351 swap should go swimmingly.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:20 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

94-95 headers have the fitting for the emission tubing. The swap headers do not. They are set-up to use fox body style emissions tubing. I never said they would affect emissions. They just aren't emissions legal as per the governement standards. But anyway, they probably won't cause it to fail the actual emssions sniffer test but, they will fail you visually unless you swap all the emissions tubing to fox body style. Failure is failure visual or not. The heat extractor hood only came on 96 and later S-351's or the few 94 and 95 SR's. My 96 S351 has plenty of rack clearance and is set back just over an inch. I have the heat extractor hood and run a 1 inch spacer between my upper and lower. As for the trans Saleen ran a tremec which allows you to set it back anyway. Otherwise you have to run a driveshaft spacer. There is also room on the crossmember to allow you to slot the holes there to. The inspector looks to make sure all emission equipment is intact. In states that are strict they know the difference. California even looks for the CARB EO tag. If they think it isn't stock then the burden of proof is on you. Most states right now have fairly lax inspections, they look for cats, test emissions, and the check engine light. Others go more indepth. It depends on the state and sometimes even the county you live in. If you don't have everything hooked up properly sometimes you get a check engine light (orangish yellow). This fails you automatically. Also, when swapping to equal lengths have fun installing them on a SN-95 with a 351 swap. They are enough of a pain on a 302. The small gain in hp isn't worth the trouble. With a tube K-member you just have more room to work. It doesn't really change what headers you can use. I used a AJE kit with coli overs and ran Kooks longtubes. It made it alot easier to change the starter. My k-member allowed me to set the motor back one inch or leave it in the stock location. It had two slots.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:16 PM
knucklefux
1st Gear Member

the bk 351 swap headers are 50 state legal. even california realizes that headers CAN NOT affect emissions. furthermore, if you are handy with a torch and mig welder, you can install your own egr fitting. it also seems a bit counterintuitive to have to run a driveshaft spacer when your transmission is closer to your rear end...what you should need is a shorter driveshaft. i'm just applying some simple logic here. now if the trans in question is shorter than the stock t-5, then setting the motor back an inch would be beneficial. always remember that there is no magic invovled here. there is only what will fit and what won't. and regarding the s351, i can't find any in depth info on how saleen got the 351 in there under a stock hood, so who knows what they did. the bottom line is that most of us don't have one, so if we want the big cubes, we gotta figure out how to do it ourselves, or with the help of others.

in answer to the original question, of i haven't done so already, it is not cheaper or easier to go with the 351 swap. a stroked 302 will be cheaper, and deifnitely easier. out.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

They are 50 state legal on a 96-93 not a 94-95! When you intsall a tremec in a stock 94-95 5.0 car you have to run a driveshaft spacer. If you have the motor set back you don't. A tremec is the shorter than the stock T-5 in a 94-95 car. And a set of headers can affect emissions. Californis does look at headers that you install. Try going throuogh and emissions station with a set of long tubes. Even with the O2 bungs welded in. You won't pass. The header itself can affect the emissions. Tube size, heat dissipation, among some factors. All Saleen did was notch the K-member (moving the motor back) and use a drop mount. That is it. They run fox body emissions with some mods that were deemed emissions leagl by all 50 states. Saleen did the emissions certification. Not Ford or any aftermarket manufacturer.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:55 PM
knucklefux
1st Gear Member

the headers i'm talking about are short tubes, not long. all headers do is provide a path for the exhaust to flow through. the engine itself creates the emissions. headers can not change the amount of CO or CO2 or any other gas because they do not generate gasses. it's really simple...the only thing that affects emissions is a change in air fuel ratio.

there's not really much sense debating the issue anyway, i don't need for you to agree with me for me to be right. i don't live in a state where emissions are checked. i have a carburetor on my 95 mustang, and i drive it every day. that being said, if you can show a C.A.R.B. number for whatever part you have installed on your car, you can't be failed based on the visual portion of the inspection-it's that simple. on the 86-93 model, the egr tube came out from directly in fron tof the cat, on the sn95 they just had it come out of one of the passenger side header tubes. if you install the required fitting so that the egr system still functions properly, you will pass emissions, unless your car emits too much of the wrong gas.

furthermore, if an inspector i astute enough to realise that the headers that you have on your car are 50 state legal, but only on certain year models, chances are that he will also recognize that you have a 351 installed-which is definitely gonna cause you to fail emissions as that engine was never original equipment in an sn95 mustang (excluding the cobra r). C.A.R.B. numbers are not year specific, the part is either allowed or not allowed, they can't specify which year vehicle the part can be installed in.

this is getting ridiculous. the whole point of the thread was to tell the guy if he was better off with a 351 or a 331, not bicker about what might happen at a vehicle inspection.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:12 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the point was to help the guy out. My big grip is the mis info that was being given out. CARB numbers are specific. Having lived in California I probably know a little more about how **** they are about CARB EO numbers. Your right that headers don't generate the gases them selves. But, the do affect emissions since your motor doesn't burn 100 percent of the fuel. Its not 100 percent efficient. Your headers are where more gases are burned ie..effects emissions. They also affect backpressure based on the tube size. Some more than others. Why do you think some headers are emissions legal and others aren't.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:32 PM
jasonsn95

iam doing a 1994 v6 swap to a 351 and need help making the fact. gages work has someone did this be for temp. oil alt. fuel pump?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM
im_stuck_in_iraq
2nd Gear Member

good question ^

I have a 351w to put in my 94 but I dont want a hack job.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:06 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by im_stuck_in_iraq
good question ^

I have a 351w to put in my 94 but I dont want a hack job.
you don't have to do much of anything beyond just dropping it in.