Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 351 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
justplainjoe139

Default 302 or 351 HO? Egads.

I have a 93 mustang lx with the 2.3L 4 cyl. It is a dog and really not as much fun as I want to have. I want to put a different engine in it but am unsure as to what to put into it. I have two options. I have a 302 out of an 89 Ford F-250 or 350,and a 351 HO out of an 80s Bronco. Which would you choose?

I would mainly be using it as an everyday drive. I imagine the 302 to be ALOT better on gas than the 351, but the 302 is a little more sissy compared to the 351. Its a tough choice. basically what I want to know is which one would be easier, more cost efficient to install, again I am thinking the 302 would be cheaper and easier. But I really LOVE the 351, its a beast, and what is the fun in putting in a 302 if you could just put in the 351.

351 or 302? Both are non-efi. If I install the 351 am I basically going to have to change everything about the car? ie: suspension, transmission, front end?

Give me some ideas, money is a little tight, but I can survive on ramen noodles and bologna sandwiches.

Basically, I just want the most fun and thrills for the cheapest amount of money. There, I said it.

Let me know which will take the most amount of work, which will be the best overall, which will be the easiest for my father and I to do. He is old and I am not the best mechanic. He has the know how, I have the youth.

Thank you in advance for any info you can offer.

joe
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1992, Ford Mustang GT convertible
Default RE: 302 or 351 HO? Egads.

It wont be cheap. And if your fonds are tight.
It would be cheaper to just buy a Mustang with a 302 or 351 in it already.
You could fine 1 for around 2k to 3k used.
1992 GT Convertible
2001 GT Convertible (sold)
rwh129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to VigCS

sorry but I really disagree with the response above. You could do the whole swap for at most 1500. You cab probably find a junkyard motor for about 500, use 500 to rebuild it yourself then the last 500 as backup. I would really worry about the 4 cyl trans though...the torque of a 351w would eat that thing up.

I would probably go with the 302 you have...the 351w youve got is a flat tappet version. You can get plenty of power out of a 302...though I think the motor out of the f250 isnt a ho and has a different firing order than the 5.0 HO in the mustangs.

'92 GT
VigCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
4Stangs
4th Gear Member

The 302 to 351W swap is not hard. the 4 cyl to 351 is more challenging. The 351 is much taller than the 302, especially when EFI is used. A 302 with an RPM Air Gap is VERY close if you don't use a spacer under the carb. The swap for a 351W will involve different headers than a 302, but hey...you already have to change all the exhaust being your swapping a 4 cyl. The 351 will present hood clearance problems of varying degrees depending on the intake/carb/EFI setup you use. The 302 should be ok with all but high single plane intakes (for a carb set up). I used a custom PA Racing tubular k-member on my 302 to 351 swap with dropped mounts and a 3" cowl hood to clear the TFR (EFI) intake and T.B.

You'll need a transmission/bell housing and a computer to match the motor you decide to use IF you go with EFI. I used the stock computer in my 92 for the 302 to 351 swap but had to get a SCT piggy-back to tune it correctly for the 351W. A stock T-5 doesn't like seeing much more than 300 ft.lbs. of tourque so take that into consideration. A C4 may be a better choice and will work without driveshaft mods other than replacing the trans yoke.

Suspension won't be a too big a problem, but I would recommend the V8 front struts and maybe spindles since the struts and spindles are different V8vs4 cyl. If you retain the 4cyl springs, a bump steer kit should be considered.

I think you'll find the swap will cost more than $1500, but I guess it's possible using salvage parts.

By the way, firing order for the 351W and the 302 H.O. is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. A standard 302 (non-H.O. roller) is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Pay attention if you start swapping cams etc.
04 Mystichrome cobra
06 S281E screaming yellow
4Stangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:16 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
351, 351ho, ford, ho, intake