351 Mustang

Supercharged or not?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 AM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharged or not?

Goal - In the 400's rwhp

I have a 1984 351W shortblock for my 66 that was rebuilt stock just before I bought it. I plan on putting an appropriate sized AFR heads on with fuel injection. What would be the best way to obtain this goal? Rebuilding the bottom end, throwing a supercharger on the stock block, or both.

If bolting on a supercharger will work then thatwould benice. I love the sound. However, I am open to pretty much any option.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharged or not?

That goal can be reached easily n/a or forced induction, it just depends on what you prefer. I havnt had mine dynoed yet but i am confident i have at least 400 rwhp. I have ported heads, big cam, DRP pistons, forged i-beam rods with a little over 11:1 compression. If you decided to go forced induction you should keep your compression around 9:1 give or take a half point.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Personally for something easier on the pocketbook, forged stroker assembly, and good heads, cam and intake. Fuel injection or carb is strictly a matter of how street friendly you want it. Opinions vary about streetablity with carbs compared to fuel injection, but it usually comes down to personal preference. If your goal is 400, then stroker on a forged rotating assembly and leave the option open for spray. If bigger numbers are your goal then you might want to look into forced induction of some kind.....Or more spray
Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Stroker, but I wouldn't spend the extra money for a forged crank.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

why not spend the extra $$$$ on the crank?, that seems to be a very vital part
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

I need to ask the guy I got it from, but what is the compression on the stock motor? Could I just throw some nice heads on there and bolt up a supercharger at 6-8 psi and be satisfied (with the right gearing of course)? This car will be streetable. If anything, some weekend races, but mostly it will be to look good. If i dont have to tear into the bottom end, that would be awesome. Less money and work.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: USMCrebel

why not spend the extra $$$$ on the crank?, that seems to be a very vital part
Well then why not get a $2500 billet?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

Im not gonna throw insane amounts of money for looks. The power is just to have it, and use it every once in a while. Just something to flex with. The rest of the car will look amazing, I just want a motor to compliment the rest. I will tear into the bottom end if it is necessary, but if its not, then ill just bolt on what I need to.

Thanks for you help guys.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 AM
1Sw33t90GT

Ifyou go Supercharged and you don't have the right compression ratio, you will be blowing head gaskets all the time. I speak from experience in this matter. I bought my little gem with a Kenne Bell 2.2 for $5k with blown head gaskets. Replaced the gaskets like 4 times in 6 months. Kinda gets expenssive, especially when you start buying the expensive ones and they still blow. Come to find out, the bottom end was all stock so the compression ratio was way too high. If you're gonna go with the blower, spend the money to reinforce the bottom end. (Me personally, I like the go factor. Sold the parts off my 302 to pay for the 351W and the right pistons & rods.)

Kristi
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 AM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know what a stock 84 351W compression ratio is? I would really like to know. Its important in the fact that if the ratio is going to be high then I have to rebuild the newly rebuilt block. But if its good, then I am gonna throw a custom ground cam with AFR heads, intake to match, fuel injection and 6-8 psi of blown fun. Should make for a fun ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharged or not?