Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 351 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Slimboyfatty
1st Gear Member

Default 351w Guru's Help!!

Alright guys, as some of you may know Im swapping out my 302 for a 351w EFI that I bought. I wanted to know should I keep it EFI or go to a carb. The only reason I was wondering is one because I heard carb makes better power and two its cheaper to do carb not to mention less of a hassle than setting up all my EFI stuff again so just bare in my that this isa Daily driver for now but pretty soon will be a weekend only car. With winter coming up most the time it will be garaged and I will drive my honda civic that I hate being seen in. Thanks for the help. Also if you have done this before please help me out with a setup a could put on the 351w. I was looking into doing something with patriot heads, i heard from a friend that runs them that they flow better than trick flow, I also wanted to get into something like a eddy or a holly carb/intake whichever I go with, and a comp cams thumper hydrolic roller cam. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 351w Guru's Help!!

its false that you cant get as much horsepower out of efi as a carbed setup. just ask the carbed 351w that i have outrun with my 306 efi. its all in setup of the motor and the knowledge to tune it properly. the thing is if your a rookie with efi tuning your prolly better off with the carb and you have to have patience with an efi motor or you will go nuts. efi compensates for a lot of variables a carb wont hence the knowledge must be had for tuning for the conditions of weather and such. whereas efi when not tuned properly can be a nightmare to deal with hence once again comes in the knowledge of tuning one. bottom line is that i could take two identical motors and have a pro setup the carb and me setup the efi then go to a dyno on a 100 degree day with 98% humidity and a temp falling at 2 degrees an hour and tell you to adjust the carb and i will outrun you everytime. then have the efi program scrambled and put you in that car and let you tune it while i tune the carbed one and i would prolly still outrun you. its not knocking you im just makin g a point. KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY!!!! by the way if your gonna go with the eddy intake it wouldnt hurt to look at getting a set of eddy heads flow matched to the intake.

HISTORY IS DESTINED TO REPEAT ITSELF AND YOU WANNA RACE ME AGAIN

iceman89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Carb makes little more power, due to little less restriction
EFI will have little more of a set and forget tune.

only difference

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
"

Ben Franklin
Plaque in Statue of Liberty
r.barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
uni_uni
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Yahoo to uni_uni

[/align]
[blockquote]

I just got my car tuned thursday. I made 360 rwhp and 371rwtq. With the 5.8 lightning mass air computer on a "safe" tune and a 9.5:1 c/r. It was a head ache, but I'm glad I went this route...I live near mountains and I would hate to have to adjust the carb before going up the hill.

[/align][/blockquote]

98' mark 8 lsc... my DD
uni_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Slimboyfatty
1st Gear Member

So i am going to still with EFI sounds best just wanted input ill go through the hassle. I have a bronco computer should I get the lightning computer or will my mustang comp work?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Atencio

I am going to run a carb on my 351. The car can run cooler than it can with EFI and I feel I could always get more horsepower out of a carb than EFI.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
351w, cam, carb, dyno, efi, heads, history, patriot, thumper