351 Mustang

'98 V6 gone... 351W in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
v6stang07
6th Gear Member

Default RE: '98 V6 gone... 351W in!

awesome....cant wait to see some finished pics with that beauty sittin under that hood
Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

It is in and running. Pulls pretty good. Alot better than I thought for being a mild setup. Had it on a set of 26/8.5 M/T Slicks for a test run and I was impressed. Had the tires had a little more life in them and air for that matter I would have stayed in it past 90mph. She got squirly on me. [&:]I still have to do some fine tuning of the TCS for the trans to get it running just right. Shifts hard enough to put you in your seat from 1-2 upshift. Thats if it doesnt break traction and actually bites the road. I warped all the pushrods already =( Thought I may be able to get by with the ones that was in it..... Time for some chrome molly's. Having a problem with the rocker nuts backing off. I tried a grade 8 with nylon this time to see if it will cure it. If not I need to get some polly locks. It's only a flat tappet cam though.... Shouldnt be needing a stud girdle, we shall see though.

The V6 only has 73,000 miles on it. Ran fine before I took it out. Like tool man taylor I wanted more power. I am in Alabama right now, but I live in michigan. The motor along with the stock cam/ lifters/ heads from the 351W will be going up for sale as soon as I get home.

Thanks for all the comments. I will have more pics SOON. hopefully Sat night my cousin and I are going out to a local racer hangout and I will have some video. If it's not raining again. He drives a '96 with a Mark VIII Aluminum 4.6 DOHC transplant. Still primer Grey, lol.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redneck1465

Are those cupholders in the counsel standard? If not where can I get them for my car?
They are stock. Not sure what years offered them, But I know most had the ash tray which I would have liked alot better. Not that I smoke, but then I could have gotten one of those hide-away switch plates instead of having to fab my own for the old CD player slot. The cup holders honestly suck! you cant really put anything in them and get it to stay and be out of the way. I am going to cut the bottoms out of mine and put two small guages in them since I already cant see out over the 4" cowl, I dont want them up in the windsheild areaat all.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

Looks awesome man!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
96GT34
1st Gear Member

Hey Tazman03 what radiator/fan set up did you use??
Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Hey Taz! looking great man. hey would u be able to pm me with more pics if you have any of the engine install? also what year was the car that u put the 351 in. i have my 96 gt gutted out, and i have a 351 that i stroked toa 408 that im putting into it. did u get a cross memeber from a different car or is it a new tubular for a 94-95 gt? just curious. thanx man and good luck with it!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

Here is a few more pics. Just out of the paint booth today and got sanded and buffed. Base coat is bright white and stripes are faint red pearl. Kinda ghost stripes. Catch the light just right and you can see them light up bright! One of a kind. I am running it on the stock wheels which are all missing the center caps and scuffed up bad, lol. They do this car no justice at all. Once I get back home I have some chrome 17/9" 1995 cobra wheels to put back on it. I should have more pics tomorrow. Working on video to, but weather is kinda working against me here. Plus I can get the valves lashed perfect and run it down the road and they start backing off again! Really getting on my nerves. I am going to try to find some poly locks tomorrow or steal the nuts off my dads '71 chevelle if they are the same size.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

In answer to the last couple questions.........

I used the V6 radiator and electric fan setup. It is a TIGHT fit! Originally I tried to leave all the fan wiring as is, but since it is controlled by the temp sensor output, it wasnt turning on as I did away with the whole engine harness and made my own using the old sensors and what not. Somewhere in the mess some wires got overlooked and there was no signal being sent to kick the fan on. Easy 12v source on a toggle switch fixed it. I have no problems running hot as of yet. granted it's not 95* outside yet either though. I will probably upgrade soon and use a lower thermostat but it works for now.

The car is a '98. I used the QA1 tubular K-member for a '94-'95. They bolt right in. I think I emailed you already... ?? not sure though. As far as pics go, what exactly are you wanting? Any particular portions of the install? I dont have alot of us putting it in, due to the fact I couldnt hold the wrenches and the camera at the same time. I can get you pics of how it is in there though, just let me know which part you want.

I wanted to stroke to a 408 as well, but no sense in tearing apart a brand new shortblock. I will say this though, just with the 351 in the car it is a Hoss...... a 408 is going to be SICK power!

Word of advice on the K-member..... Get the matching A-Arms! save you a headache of getting stock ones to work. Requires cutting some excess material off the back and grinding them down smooth and rounded. I am really considering changing them now. Worried about how much I weakend them by doing this. Plus overall weight reduction is second to none! I lost ALOT of weight with that K-member Swap.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Hey taz! nah i dont think we have talked before, i think haha. and as for pics, i was hoping to get a picture of ever nut and bolt as it was put it, the torque wrench tightening it, and the pics of you putting the oil and coolant in!!! come on what were u thinking not getting those haha just kidding man.

do you have any pics of the final install, like you said the fan was a tight fit, id like to see how u have that set up and also some pics of the drivers side header. i thoguht there were some issues with getting them to clear the steering coming thru the firewall. and did the power steering pump bolt right up to the p/s rack from the 98?? also what did you use for engine mounts? were they stock 5.0 ones or the convertible mounts or what. just curious.
also i keep hearing people saying stuff about a 5.0 to 351 swap needing different balancers and stuff, what exactly did u use for the pulleys and stuff? im guessing just the stock stuff that was on the motor?sorry i know i got a lot of questions, but you have done it so i jsut wanna know if i might hit any snags. thanx for ur time man!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

Here it is.........

Quick Reply: '98 V6 gone... 351W in!