351 Mustang

'98 V6 gone... 351W in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:33 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

Default RE: '98 V6 gone... 351W in!

ORIGINAL: BlackMage

Hey taz! nah i dont think we have talked before, i think haha. and as for pics, i was hoping to get a picture of ever nut and bolt as it was put it, the torque wrench tightening it, and the pics of you putting the oil and coolant in!!! come on what were u thinking not getting those haha just kidding man.

do you have any pics of the final install, like you said the fan was a tight fit, id like to see how u have that set up and also some pics of the drivers side header. i thoguht there were some issues with getting them to clear the steering coming thru the firewall. and did the power steering pump bolt right up to the p/s rack from the 98?? also what did you use for engine mounts? were they stock 5.0 ones or the convertible mounts or what. just curious.
also i keep hearing people saying stuff about a 5.0 to 351 swap needing different balancers and stuff, what exactly did u use for the pulleys and stuff? im guessing just the stock stuff that was on the motor?sorry i know i got a lot of questions, but you have done it so i jsut wanna know if i might hit any snags. thanx for ur time man!

Hey man, I dont mind you asking. I bugged alot of people asking alot of questions before I did this. It's all just a circle, lol.
I will get you some pics of the fan and headers. I used stock 5.0 mounts, but now thinking of swaping them for the vert mounts. drop the motor a little and I want to see if I can get it slide back just a hair for a little more clearence up front. Have plenty in the back. Power steering stuff all bolted right up as I used the pump off my '98 and just swaped it over to the 351W mounts. they are all the same. I also reused my '98 altenator in the 351 W brackets. Just lengthened the wires as now it was on the passenger side. Easy to do. I used the stock 351W pullies. AC delete. 5.0 has a 50 oz imbalance. 351W has a 28oz imbalance. Up to a certain year all the 289/302/351's had a 50oz imbalance..... only the 351W changed to 28oz.
Read up on this article.........
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...wap/index.html

Alot of good info in there. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

VIDEO!!!!! Sound quality sucks, but I will get better ones shortly

before the install.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIGIsjZoe2g

After..... startup and idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eixPC1PQr4M

Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 AM
92civy
4th Gear Member

Very Nice!!!! Now all you need are some Weld Prostars!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:53 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tazman03

5.0 has a 50 oz imbalance. 351W has a 28oz imbalance. Up to a certain year all the 289/302/351's had a 50oz imbalance..... only the 351W changed to 28oz.
so do i just pretty much have to make sure that the flywheel and front pulley are the same imbalance? so if it has the stock flywheel and stuff i should just be able to technically reuse them, no need to get a different imbalance? thats awesome that the p/s and alternator bolt right up, that should make life easier, most definately. did you have any issues with the brake booster being in the way of the valve covers? also what about the guages inside, did you replace them with aftermarket ones or did you get them to work with the motor somehow? thanks for your time man! btw it sounds awesome, cant wait to hear some video of it on the road

-Will
Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

If your 351 came with a flywheel and front dampner, reuse it or at least make sure you get new ones desighned for the 351 only. The only issue I had with the Alt. was mine didnt have the cooling fins on the pully part, so I had to shim it out just a hair to get it all to line up. Easy fix. Yiou may or may not runinto a problem with part of the bracket stoping the alt. just shy of the bolt holes. I did, and I just used a small grinder to remove a small amount of the bracket to allow the alt. to slide right into place. You will see exactly what I am talking about if you run into the problem. That to is a simple fix. I will send you some pics though.
Brake booster and that was all untouched in the process. even used the same hoses.

Gauges where the fun part, lol Depends on exactly what you do for ignition. If you are running a distributor you can get the factory tach to work like I did. I took out the passenger kick panel and traced an Orange and white wire which feeds the tach. I then ran a wire off of the (-) side of the coil to the orange and white wire. You have to clip the wire in half though to eliminate the signal from going through the factory computer and make it run directly to the gauge. It isnt the greatest, but it works. If you are using coil packs, you cannot do this and need a special Tach adapter. For the Oil/Coolant sensors, I used the same sending units that where on my V6. Sometimes if you change sending units your gauges will read funny or not work at all. If you look at where the main engine harness connects under the hood. If you have patience and are really carfull, you can make a new harness that consists of the 2 coolant sensors and 1 oil pressure sensor, you can either use the one on your car or go to a junk yard and crop one off, but trace all the wires to each sensor and leave those intact. Eliminate all other wires by removing the back of the plug, the blue rubber insert, then flip it over and remove the 3 red plastic retaining clips for all the pins. One by one pull all the other wires out. This is what I did. I didnt want to go spend a boat load of money on new gauges right now so I did it this way as a quick fix. I got lucky and since I am in ford country right now, there was a spare engine harness laying behind the shop. I just compared the two harnesses and made sure I had the right wires. left enough wire to stretch accross the motor and soldered the conecting clips onto the new made harness. I will send you pics...... I just talked in a circle and confused myself, lol
Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Awesome, yea im pretty sure ill just end up buyin new components for the damper and flywheel anyways. and i have all the accessories from the motor so i think i should be good in that department for some things. as for the guages, i was thinking about getting an aftermarket cluster, where you can add in your own guages that you like. so i think i mgiht go that route and just rip most of the wirng out, exceot for the lights and stuff but thanx for the run thru on the guages, im sure i will probably just wire them up how u have said jsut to get me running for now!! thanx for all the help and i look forward to seeing some more pics of this beast you have!!!!

-Will
Old 04-20-2008, 12:01 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

Will I PMed you the pics you wanted. Fan/Alt/Wires ect. Finally just got home so I was away from the computer for 3 or 4 days. Was a LONG ride home. Was interesting though people were taking pictures of the car when we were bringing it home from Alabama on the trailer and even on the 1 1/2 hour drive I took back towards my house from my dads.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
96GT34
1st Gear Member

I was wondering if any of you knew, if i get a new engine wiring harness for a 5.0 or 5.8 will that affect the interior wiring or is that an entirely sperate wiring harness to where changing the engine won't matter. Lets just say its a 96
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT34

I was wondering if any of you knew, if i get a new engine wiring harness for a 5.0 or 5.8 will that affect the interior wiring or is that an entirely sperate wiring harness to where changing the engine won't matter. Lets just say its a 96

Not 100% sure but I know my cousin has a '96 Gt and put an all aluminum 4.6 DOHC out of a '97 Mark VIII in it. He had to more or less re wire the car. or so I was told. I know that the 5.0 H.O. computer has the same firing order as the 351W however Im not sure of all the wiring that feeds into and or out of it. I think all of it does though. its not as simple as just swapping the engine harness though I can tell you that much.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
grubb94

i have a 94 v6 but it has a 302 in it if i put tha 351 in do i have to change tha k member or can i use the one in tha car
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: '98 V6 gone... 351W in!