351 Mustang

oil spitting out???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 AM
SlowStang5.0

Default RE: oil spitting out???

wow thats weird. I have the same engine setup as you except without the heads and i get tons of oil spitting out onto my drivers side header when i drive the car hard and rev high. When in open the hood i can see everything covered in oil but have no idea where its coming from
Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlowStang5.0

wow thats weird. I have the same engine setup as you except without the heads and i get tons of oil spitting out onto my drivers side header when i drive the car hard and rev high. When in open the hood i can see everything covered in oil but have no idea where its coming from
Have you checked to make sure your dip stick is not blowing out or valve cover gaskets?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Tazman, are you positive it's coming from the head gaskets and not the valve covers? It may seem like a silly question but was just wondering. If it's not the valve covers than do what others have suggested and perform a compression test. That will at least give you a clue as to what it might be.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Indy
1st Gear Member

Have you done a compression test yet? That's going to tell you for sure if you have a head gasket leak, major piston ring blow-by or leaking valves! You've got to do a compression test... if you haven't already done so. Even still, it's strange that you would get oil and not coolant out of a blown or lifted head gasket. I still maintain that it would likely be coolant. Anyways, if you suspect or find a head gasket problem, you also better pull that dipstick or oil pan plug to make sure you don't have any coolant in the oil (don't want it to "wash" out any of your engine bearing... big probs then). Likewise, you cancheck forengine oil in your coolant system. Compression test, compression test, compression test, arguably the number one diagnostic tool in any toolbox! Good luck! Keep us posted.
Indy
Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

Gigured it out!!!! Fell kinda like a dumb a** though, lol. Was a combo of the valve covers not seating right and the Dip stick provision cast in the block. Since I changed to the double hump pan from FMS the dipstick is now in the pand (not the block) the F'ing plug sprung a leak and was blowing it all the way up onto the bottom of the head!! New gaskets and some RTV silicone cleared it up. (hangs head in shame, lol)

Now I have a new problem that developed. I think the brake booster is bad, butI am not sure how to test it. and if it is bad how the heck to get it out. I know I unbolt the four mounting studas and diconect everything under the dash..... but the clearance you have between the shock tower and the length of the studs on the booster makes you wonder who the magician was that got it in there in the first place. I have tried and tried and tried again. Only thing I can figure is to cut the studs off and yank it out. However I am still going to run into the same problem putting it back in. I will post another specific thread though.

Thanks everyone for the input. Like I said, I cannot beleive that it was something that ignorant and how I didnt think to check that as many times I was under there has got me.