351 Mustang

New to 351W and have one question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

Default New to 351W and have one question.

Ive read through the sticky and been reading some threads. I already know what I need for the swap however, I have a question that I cant find the answer.

What are the power limits of the 351W. I know 69-70 are the strongest with 71-74 after that and then the 94+ as the weakest. but what numbers are we talking about? My question is this because the reason I am going away from a 302 is because of that ~500hp liimit. Is it only a few horses more than a 302. I would like to see the 700-800 HP limit.(more on the 700rwhp side) Can it be done with a 351? If not what can I make? A 351w is alot cheaper than any other option.

Thx in advance guys.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

700 isnt too unrealistic... but I wouldnt bother trying to make any more than that on an OEM block
Old 05-28-2009, 04:18 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

just my opinion here but if the motor was going to see anything over 500-550 hp at the crank id switch to a dart block. to get that hp number your gonna be revving the hell out of it, and a stock block will start moving around causing all the clearences to change then BOOM! have a dustpan ready to pick up all the pieces. your gonna need all forged internals to get 700-800 hp and some serious bucks, i wouldnt risk all that money on a stock block no way no how. plus for 7-800 hp your gonna need more cubic inches. im not saying its impossible but your gonna need some really deep pockets to hit your hp# good luck
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
700 isnt too unrealistic... but I wouldnt bother trying to make any more than that on an OEM block
I wont be trying more than that, I have convinced myself that If not happy after 700 then I will jump into big dog status. but I would like to make it there before i dish out for Dart or Boss Blocks.

Originally Posted by wrenchturner75
just my opinion here but if the motor was going to see anything over 500-550 hp at the crank id switch to a dart block. to get that hp number your gonna be revving the hell out of it, and a stock block will start moving around causing all the clearences to change then BOOM! have a dustpan ready to pick up all the pieces. your gonna need all forged internals to get 700-800 hp and some serious bucks, i wouldnt risk all that money on a stock block no way no how. plus for 7-800 hp your gonna need more cubic inches. im not saying its impossible but your gonna need some really deep pockets to hit your hp# good luck
wait so 500-550hp is all you say that can be safely pulled out of a 351w? Adder says 700 is acheviable and you say 500-550? im not doubting eitther but those are two very diff numbers. Can some1 clear this up?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

he's not saying its not safe... its just his opinion (which is valid)

If your going to try to make that much HP.. you are better off with an aftermarket block
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
cccharleston
1st Gear Member

I don't know about all this horsepower talk but high fives in the 1/8 mile in a 3000lb car can be done on a roller block.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
he's not saying its not safe... its just his opinion (which is valid)

If your going to try to make that much HP.. you are better off with an aftermarket block
I was asking because those numbers were very far off, but i do understand his point.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

700hp on a stock block 351W. That's almost 2hp per cube. Even if you stroke it 408, that's still 1.7 hp per cube. That's not as easy as you might think it is.

You'll need a power adder to get there. Which, of course, is a lot tougher on the block and rotating assembly than NA power.

I think if you use a blower, EFI with ignition control, intercooler, and run it on E85, you might survive those power levels. Maybe.

Of course, use has a lot to do with it. If you're pounding on the drag strip or running the road course every week end, it won't last as long as fun street driving.

I'm a firm believer in overbuilding for strength. I would use a Dart Sportsman block. Yes, it's more expensive. But it's built better, stronger, and will handle just about anything you can throw at it.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB
700hp on a stock block 351W. That's almost 2hp per cube. Even if you stroke it 408, that's still 1.7 hp per cube. That's not as easy as you might think it is.

You'll need a power adder to get there. Which, of course, is a lot tougher on the block and rotating assembly than NA power.

I think if you use a blower, EFI with ignition control, intercooler, and run it on E85, you might survive those power levels. Maybe.

Of course, use has a lot to do with it. If you're pounding on the drag strip or running the road course every week end, it won't last as long as fun street driving.

I'm a firm believer in overbuilding for strength. I would use a Dart Sportsman block. Yes, it's more expensive. But it's built better, stronger, and will handle just about anything you can throw at it.
Well it def wont be N/A. Its gonna be an STS turbo car. It will be a street/Strip car. 1/4 miles passes at the track will be limited. Its gonna stay EFI, intercooler is a must for an STS kit. e85 will be the only questionable thing, I would like it to see 700 on race fuel(C16 or AVgas),
to drive it around regularly it could have 100hp less than that for all I care. but I wanna be able to turn it up, every once in awhile. to see what it can do. It wont be a daily either It will be a weekend car.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

In that case, don't wast time and money with a stock block. A Dart block will easily handle those power levels. You can bore it our to 427 cubes, and still maintain the stock 4.000" stroke - very rpm friendly. You can easily run the short block to 7,500 rpm's on a regular basis. The smaller main journals will also help the rpm's, and the priority main oiling system will keep it alive.

If you're willing to keep the rpm's down below 6,500, you could stroke it out to a 454. Then you can use a hydraulic roller camshaft, too.

Call either Mike Forte at Fortesparts.com or Gordon Levy at LevyRacing.com Both of them have a lot of experiance with these kinds of motors, and can supply you with all the parts you need. Or a completed engine, if that's what you want.

Quick Reply: New to 351W and have one question.