Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 351 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to 97modifiedmustangGT
Default need help with a vibration

We just got done putting a 1993 351w in my buddies mustang. it has just been one problem after another but i won't go into that. since the first drive though it has a vibration from about 2400-2900 rpm. we have a flywheel off of a 68 or 69 5.0 so it should be the right balance unless the crank was changed for some reason in that 5.0 motor. what else could possibly cause this vibration?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Iv been fighting a similar vibration for months now, even had the motor rebuilt and fully balanced.

But things that come to mind, flywheel, crank, harmonic balancer, could even go bck in to the tranny, also could just be the u-joints going out. i would inspect the small things first.

Is it a rpm based vibration, as in sitting in the driveway revving the motor and getting the vibration?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
393strokervert
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 Ford Mustang GT
Default vibration

+1 (Is it a rpm based vibration, as in sitting in the driveway revving the motor and getting the vibration?) (But things that come to mind, flywheel, crank, harmonic balancer, could even go bck in to the tranny, also could just be the u-joints going out. i would inspect the small things first.)

possibly motor mounts, hope your not using solids. solids= nevermind,if you had solids,you wouldn't know you had a problem
1995 Mustang GT Convertible, 393 stroker,Built T-5 w/specIII clutch,3.27rear, 10:1 comp,MSD ign,FoxBody TB conversion 75mm ,TrickFlow 351 upper & lower intakes,30# injectors,Pro-M 80mm meter, E7's 1.9 & 1.6 valves w/Crane 1.7rr's, everything ported & polished,TF stage1 cam,(LT's w/cutom side exhaust coming soon)03 Cobra front brakes, custom subframe connectors, Cold A/C ect..
393strokervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

well the vibration problem should be fixed by tuesday because apparently the flywheel was a 50 oz. after we pulled the engine again. i guess they didn't take the time to run the part #.

Another problem that i see him having is it seems to run hot. It doesn't have a t stat at the moment and for the short time we had it running it wanted to run hot. we had the fans on at all times (dual 12in.) and if you sit long enough it will creep its way up to 210 and i don't see it stopping there. while cruising and the fans on it stays around 195 but if you don't have the fans on while cruising it will shoot right up. I'm just thinking the water pump may be bad but what else could it be?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
393strokervert
1st Gear Member

Default running hot

try checking your timing, retarted timing can cause it to run hot, also how old is the radiator & water pump??? is the car an ex4banger? if it is a 4cyl radiator then you definitely need one for a 5.0. if it doesn't get down to 180* or so,maybe even in the 170's with no thermostat then it sounds like either retarted timing or a bad radiator or water pump to me. hope this helps
1995 Mustang GT Convertible, 393 stroker,Built T-5 w/specIII clutch,3.27rear, 10:1 comp,MSD ign,FoxBody TB conversion 75mm ,TrickFlow 351 upper & lower intakes,30# injectors,Pro-M 80mm meter, E7's 1.9 & 1.6 valves w/Crane 1.7rr's, everything ported & polished,TF stage1 cam,(LT's w/cutom side exhaust coming soon)03 Cobra front brakes, custom subframe connectors, Cold A/C ect..

Last edited by 393strokervert; 07-18-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

it has a good radiator and i'm not sure about the water pump. this 351 has only about 25k original miles but it has been sitting for a while before we finally swapped it over. we have a parts car that i know the pump was fine on so we might just end up pulling that one off. thanks for the input.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
393strokervert
1st Gear Member

Good luck, I hope you find the problem & get it fixed easily. I feel your pain having problem after problem. been there,done that... also, good to here that you found your vibration problem, some people chase them for a long time.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:05 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
351w, 88, body, connectors, ford, fox, front, gt, mustang, stroker, subframe, suspension, t5, vibrates, vibration, vibrations