351 Mustang

Hi guys Im new! (oh my)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Grizz

Default Hi guys Im new! (oh my)

Hello my friends, Im new to your forums, as well as Mustangs, and muscle cars for that matter. Im very excited to start my journey to the ten second mark.

I come to you for three reasons. One, to learn, and expand my knowledge on a new platform of cars, two; to get pointers on my build; and three, to help those who are stuck on their own builds and help with input with whatever knowledge I have that could possibly help.

Here's a little about myself, in case anyone cares.
My name is Aaron, and Im 22 years old. I played Rugby in highschool, and am very much into fitness, and have exstensive knowledge on nutrition, so if you ever have any questions about anything, feel free to ask! I am a hansomly-paid-Hourly-paid Manager at Pacific Sunwear, engaged to a beautiful girl who is ready to get her hands dirty and work on a car at the drop of a hat, and I currently reside in Wisconsin, and am going to school for welding, industrial engineering, and CNC. My family has always been into absolutely anything and everything mechanical. So far I have quite a few Honda/Nissan builds, most between 250-350hp N/A and Turbo. I feel its time to move on to something bigger that im going to devote time to, that will be well worth it, and make my biggest effort to my 10 second goal. I've always been a muscle car guy at heart, but whether you like them or not, you have to admit, imports are cheap, reliable, and easy to make fast, mostly due to the power to weight ratio. BUT, im over that phase now, with my better job, tis time to build the monster I've craved for oh-so-long.

Now for the part I turn to you guys and girls for the most.

What I currently have is a 1 owner (before myself) 77,000 original mile 1991 Mustang LX. It has a VERY freshly built (less than 1k miles) 302 bored out to a 308, with a new crank, 9.1:1 pistons, aluminum heads, E303 cam, BBK headers, and magnaflow exhaust. I have a BBK intake manifold (huge enough to require a 4" cowl hood) and a BBK CAI. What more can I do for more N/A horsepower? My next step was ignition but Im not really sure what to do after that. My WHP goal is 600. Im nowhere near that, so Im looking at engine swaps. What can you tell me? Ive seen 351Windsors, etc, but dont really understand pros and cons of everything.

Please my friends, accept me as a total newbie, and help me with my build! Its nice to (internet) meet you guys, and I plan to frequent this site daily!

Thank you very much in advance,

Aaron Benson
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

build a stroker with a big blower begining with a good strong block.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Grizz

How is the build in your signature working out for you? Are you happy with the 347?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM
GTnotchback
2nd Gear Member

its a beast so far, but it needs a dyno tune bad. The chip they burnt for me was just to get it going and its way too rich. So far i havnt drove it much at all because i have been doing the body as money and time allows.( i have too many other hobbies!) About two seasons ago i broke traction at 60mph and fishtailed into the ditch. Been resto-ing it since and should hopefully be done in the next couple months. My paint guy is slllloooww.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Grizz

Im working on my body too. Theres no rust or damage, it just really needs a new paint job. As far as engine swaps go whats the most bang for my buck, that will eventually have some sort of forced induction? Im trying to do my research but theres so many conflicting opinions...