351 Mustang

393 stroker need to know everything

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fordfoxbody88
im talking 347, how should i go around balancing it so it doesnt vibrate apart at higher rpms pushing 500-550 hp. like how should i buy the kit and how will the machine shop balance it. will the machine shop balance flywheel crank and balancer all together? or should i jus buy the kit from them with the balancer and fly wheel already at 28oz and have the machine shop blance the crank or jus buy a unbalanced kit and take all of it to the machine shop. if i buy a unbalanced kit will it come with the balancer and flywheel but just all unbalanced?last what would be a good set up for a 347 from the kit to buy and the heads cam other thing i need to make about 450 hp then what else could i put on to make between 500-550 with a blower if that sounds possible by jus adding a blower
You'll probably want it neutrally balanced, meaning there is no counterweight on either end of the motor. Most places will advertise that they will balance for an extra $xxx.xx amount. But, they can't do that unless they have both counterbalances, meaning the harmonic damper and the flywheel. I haven't seen too many reviews where the company does a good job either, so I would just recommend having a local shop do it, just make sure they're reputable. Just buy the crank unbalanced, meaning a stock balance (My 351w crank shipped with a 28 oz imbalance).
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

ok to the basics! the kit i posted above will come with crank pistons rods rings and bearings.

The machine shop: dont opt for the neutral balance it`s no gain and cost double! The 302 strokers balance with a 28oz balancer and plate or wheel, like the 351w, the difference in a neutral balance is there is no imbalance on the ends of the crank they drill the counterweights on the crank and then add heavier metal back to it to internally balance the engine....(ADDING rotating weight) the standard balance they drill weight from the counterweights on the crank at precise points, the crank is spun on a vibe machine like a tire balancing setup same **** different design...

The dss kit is the BEST for the money(imho), 880$ plus the shipping how can u beat it? I have an account with them I buy all my kits from them, ford and chevy....

There are other companies out there like Coast high and a few others that have similar kits and they are all pretty much equal but I havent had ANY problems with DSS so far.

They offer a balanced kit, and we done the first one with them, it dosent vibrate any at 6500, but you cant get any better than a Quality local shop, i like to help the little guys like myself lol!

I have known my machinist since I was 10yrs old lol, and he hasnt failed me yet, they do ALOT of circle track engines that see 8500rpms sometimes more for a season so they have the balancing down to the wire! (dont expect that rpm out of your lol)

Good luck keep us posted and ask anything you may be wondering about and we will help best we can!

One more thing carbed boost setups can be a headache and expensive!

What do you plan on doing most with the car DD/weekend racer all race etc...

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 01-05-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

so i should buy a unbalanced kit from dss? what does a unbalanced one come with the fly wheel and harmonic balancer? and i use it to have fun with its kind of a weekend toy but yet i drive it through the week alot back a forth to where i need to go, and also im going to try to convert it back to fuel injection but since i did the 4cyl swap i got to get a new computer and what not and not quit sur ewhat all i need for that. if i get the unbalanced kit from dss then what do i do about the flywheel and harmonic balancer.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

You have to buy the balancer and flywheel for stick and flewplate for auto, a good piece I use when I buy is pioneer..... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pio-872032 there are other options but I have used many of these and had 1 issue, only fitment on an sn 95 the outer hub is to big to clear the water pump but on foxs there fine!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

but couldnt i just get the fly wheel and harmoic balancer with the kit and then take my to a machine shop and have them balance the crank and fly wheel and harmonic balancer all at once? wouldnt that be the better idea, or those two things with the kit than hve the crank balaced to the harmonic balancer and flywheel which would probly be 28oz?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
only fitment on an sn 95 the outer hub is to big to clear the water pump
Yeah gotta watch that, I had that issue too. Anways, OP if its internally balanced, or neutral, then they don't need the flywheel and damper. If its external, then they do. Just buy a separate flywheel/damper and take everything to a shop
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Yeah gotta watch that, I had that issue too. Anways, OP if its internally balanced, or neutral, then they don't need the flywheel and damper. If its external, then they do. Just buy a separate flywheel/damper and take everything to a shop
where do i buy a unbalanced flywheel and damper at?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fordfoxbody88
where do i buy a unbalanced flywheel and damper at?
Anywhere. Summit, jegs, etc. You'll want to buy one w whatever balance you need. For example, if you order a crankshaft w a 28 oz imbalance, you'll need the flywheel and damper w a 28 oz counterweight
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Anywhere. Summit, jegs, etc. You'll want to buy one w whatever balance you need. For example, if you order a crankshaft w a 28 oz imbalance, you'll need the flywheel and damper w a 28 oz counterweight
but then shouldnt i buy the kit already balanced from thecompany along with the flywheel and dampers
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

and also how much horse pwer is that kit from dss will handle because im afraid of it being a cast crank and i beam rods, because ik itll hold to a normal build but im afraiad for when i supercharge it and put 6-8 pounds of boost to it

Quick Reply: 393 stroker need to know everything