Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 351 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Tea Drinker

Vehicle: TBD

Yeah, I simply don't have the budget or persuasive power to convince my wife to drop more than 5k on a weekend vehicle. However, going the budget route with the ranges you listed it seems like I could get away with a $2500-$3000 rebuild.

I do think your advice is good, to start with a new engine and bolt on, unfortunately I don't have that kind of cheddar. Plus I do like the idea of building from scratch (preparing for frustration).

Given my budget and starting from scratch... what kind of heads, carb/intake, etc would you recommend?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Tea Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
88-347stroker
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 88,ford,mustang
ncsurferdude

Let me get home and send you an answer
347 blue print motor,bbk cold air,bbk mass air meter,bbk 75mm t.body,bbk 75mm ego spacer, trick flow upper and lower intake with 1" spacer,bbk smog pump delete pulley,bbk headers,bbk cat delete h pipe, flow master cat back American thunder exhaust,mitshimoto radiator,mitshimoto shroud with dual electric fans
Member# 161
88-347stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 95 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88-347stroker View Post
Duncan, where can I get a supercharger for a $1000,$3500 for motor and supercharger, or did you mean free motor and $3500 for supercharger, but anyway tea save your money buy a crate motor and do the bolt ones ,get used to the simply side of cars and spinning wrenches then work up to a bigger project
Motor-$3000-$4000
Intake/carb-$600
Distributor/wires/plugs/coil-$400
Headers-$250-$350
Even if you build the motor yourself :
Junkyard motor-$200
Machine work-$250-$1000 depend on what you do
Master rebuild kit-$750-$1500
Heads or head work-$750-$1500
All other stuff from above
He said budget, I assumed used parts. Vortech stuff pops up on the Corral ALL the time.

Even at that - where the hell did you find a 351 crate motor for $3500 that supports 400 horse? You can rebuild a 351 for way less than a grand depending on what condition it's in. He said $2500 was his budget, you have him a cost of just over $4000, and that's using the lower end of your "estimates".

OP - with what you're wanting to do, just go buy a junkyard 351/302. Tear that motor down and learn all the inner workings (that is how I learned). You can buy a master rebuild kit as numb nuts stated that includes fresh bearings and gaskets. Have a machinist take a look at your block and have it sonic checked. There is a common occurrence in stock f4te roller blocks where the cam journal will crack (more so a hairline fracture). After having it checked and cleaned, you can start on the rebuild process.

First engines are always a blast if you have the patience. Take your time and ask questions!

Soon to come: 393 stroker
351w bored .030, Probe Industries forged internals, Trickflow 205's, FTI custom cam, Trickflow R 90mm intake, Accufab 90mm TB, FRPP 42lb injectors, 1 3/4" custom Accufab LT's, 3" exhaust, MS2
Duncan_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #14
88-347stroker
2nd Gear Member

ncsurferdude

Duncan, I was not trying to upset you I really would like a supercharger for a good deal like you mentioned.Having said that if you know what you are doing its easy to do a budget build, when buying used you don't know what your getting, so I am not a big fan of buying used for a beginner who may not have you in there corner when he makes a purchase .As for the name calling its not called for as I have may mind set and you have yours, I have the cash to spend so there for my idea of a budget is different then his or someone else. I don't want any bad feelings with anyone at M.f. not to mention I look at worst case, sorry for that .
347 blue print motor,bbk cold air,bbk mass air meter,bbk 75mm t.body,bbk 75mm ego spacer, trick flow upper and lower intake with 1" spacer,bbk smog pump delete pulley,bbk headers,bbk cat delete h pipe, flow master cat back American thunder exhaust,mitshimoto radiator,mitshimoto shroud with dual electric fans
Member# 161
Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
88-347stroker
2nd Gear Member

ncsurferdude

I would also post this video which I did all the work
Member# 161
Old 02-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
Tea Drinker

Vehicle: TBD

Nice. Also that bulldog is awesome.
Tea Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
88-347stroker
2nd Gear Member

ncsurferdude

Tea I just posted some parts for sell you might like, mf live -fox body parts
Member# 161
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 95 GT

A 10:1 393 with good hci can pump out 400hp. But not for 2500$lots of cuts like using your distributor from your 302.... etc etc main thing is top end the cubic in will provide the power.

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 06-01-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Venomantidote95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement