351 Mustang

Cobra Automatic

Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 PM
PHSeaBee

Default Cobra Automatic

Years ago bought a 94 Cobra. A short time later I bought a 93-95 Lightning block and installed a Crane Compucam 2030 with Twisted Wedge heads. All the cobra parts( 24lb injectors, 1.7 rocket, intake ect) was installed the car was a lot of fun. I was called to active service and when I came home I needed to change the car over to an automatic. Soooo... We pulled the 5spd and ecu ( since the Trans is computer controlled) out and swapped with a guy who wanted a T-5. I'm ready to install the AODE into car but was told I F'd up. The ECU won't operate with the engine and mods because of the injectors?? I'm looking for the correct way to make this install work. I've been told a called MAF...a chip...it won't work...change to OBDII... And it goes on. Please tell me what YOU have done and works. Thanks
PHSeaBee
At
Yahoo
If ya need to email me...
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

just call pro-m up and get a maf for a 94 that is cal'd for 24's, let them know if you have a CAI as well for cal
Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PHSeaBee
Years ago bought a 94 Cobra. A short time later I bought a 93-95 Lightning block and installed a Crane Compucam 2030 with Twisted Wedge heads. All the cobra parts( 24lb injectors, 1.7 rocket, intake ect) was installed the car was a lot of fun. I was called to active service and when I came home I needed to change the car over to an automatic. Soooo... We pulled the 5spd and ecu ( since the Trans is computer controlled) out and swapped with a guy who wanted a T-5. I'm ready to install the AODE into car but was told I F'd up. The ECU won't operate with the engine and mods because of the injectors?? I'm looking for the correct way to make this install work. I've been told a called MAF...a chip...it won't work...change to OBDII... And it goes on. Please tell me what YOU have done and works. Thanks
PHSeaBee
At
Yahoo
If ya need to email me...
You need to buy a 94-95 GT ECU (W4HO), The automatic transmission sub harness, As well as a torque converter/OD controller. All parts will plug directly into your harness and are required for proper operation.

I would love to help you out, so I'll be sending you an e-mail. Here's mine just incase.

64bittuning@gmail.com

We can address all of your issues in one place, at one time.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Or you could get the ECU back and just convert the trans over to a full manual valvebody and have the best of both worlds the auto and shift it like a stick. and just get rid of the ecm control of the trans. Also not changing all the parts out would help keep it close to original also. it would also be a lot less work .To the OP Thanks for your Service also.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 PM
PHSeaBee

just to be clear.... if I buy this Pro-m MAF cal'd for the injector size I won't have any ECU issues? No need to chip it? thanks I was told this is an ECU "trick" and wont really work. That's why I was asking for what has actually been done not he "I think this should work" kinda things I hear on other sites.. thanks again
Originally Posted by mjr46
just call pro-m up and get a maf for a 94 that is cal'd for 24's, let them know if you have a CAI as well for cal
Old 08-17-2014, 08:15 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PHSeaBee
just to be clear.... if I buy this Pro-m MAF cal'd for the injector size I won't have any ECU issues? No need to chip it? thanks I was told this is an ECU "trick" and wont really work. That's why I was asking for what has actually been done not he "I think this should work" kinda things I hear on other sites.. thanks again
You can do it cheaper and more reliably with a chip. Calibrated MAF's are not the right way to go. you can cause idle issues, stalling, surging, bucking etc. Cal'd maf's work great in foxbody cars, not so much in SN95's. ESPECIALLY in an auto.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Why not keep the old ECU and use a stand alone transmission controller? That's what I had on my old Corolla and it worked great.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:22 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The calibrated maf will work fine!!!!! That's what everyone does when they go to bigger injectors. Don't over think it. If you already have a pcm for the automatic your in good shape. Did you get the wiring harness that goes with the pcm when you traded? If not the automatic harness can be had for cheap on eBay.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 PM
PHSeaBee

Yes, I have the AODE, w4h0 ECU, converter/flex plate, harness w/ module and radiator w/ lines...what ever he had to pull out I had to put in and vice versa. ya, I know better deal for him but if I can make this work; I have a car that isnt just sitting again!

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
The calibrated maf will work fine!!!!! That's what everyone does when they go to bigger injectors. Don't over think it. If you already have a pcm for the automatic your in good shape. Did you get the wiring harness that goes with the pcm when you traded? If not the automatic harness can be had for cheap on eBay.