351 Mustang

New to 351w; fall/winter build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 01:59 PM
x1n54n3x
1st Gear Member

Default New to 351w; fall/winter build

What's up everyone, after not having a fox for about 6 or 7 years, I'm back in the market for one...finally. Yesterday I had a 351w picked up for me and I plan on building it slowly over the winter months, and hopefully by spring, I'll be able to find a decent fox roller and drop in the engine and a T5 that I find for a summer cruiser.

I have several questions based on the route I go with the build, but let me give some background on the engine first so that everyone knows what I'm working with:

•351 shortblock
•Stock ford rods & crank
•F303 camshaft
•Lunati link bar lifters
•Converted to a roller motor
•Double roller timing chain
•Polished edelbrock water pump
•28oz harmonic balancer
•Moroso 7qt oil pan
•Motor has very low miles, has all new gaskets and parts

* the previous owner had it rebuilt shortly before tearing it down for a HCI build, and this includes machine work on the block. He then got rid of his sn95 and it sat in his apartment garage for a little while. There is some slight surface rust that I'll need to remove, but other than that, the bottom end was done professionally and at this point, I'll need all obvious top end components. Desperate to get rid of it, he let it go for $650 after it was listed for over a grand and so I couldn't resist. I had planned on building a 302 over winter, but the cost would be only marginally higher with new parts for this 351 and I felt it was a worthy upgrade at this point.

My questions are first about the combo and second about carbs in general. I'm looking for something that will cruise- I live in the mountains where roads are plentiful and empty, both straight and windy. I'm not looking for a track application, just a strong, reliable and powerful motor that I can eventually swap into an older (60's era) mustang one day. Is the f303 cam any good for what I'm looking for? I've heard they're outdated, but seeing as it's already installed, I'd like to see what my options are. Also, if there is a good resource for choosing a cam/head combo, I'd appreciate any links. Heads-wise, I'm assuming I'll have to figure out whether that f303 is worth anything before I make any decisions there; intake will follow.
I'm really just looking for drivability, with the capacity for plenty of power when I want it, with the intent of about 390-450hp range. I plan on keeping stock gearing for highway drivability. I'll be cruising around town, but also putting down 300 miles on any given road trip to southern california or northern california.

I do live in California, though my county doesn't require smog after the initial reg. Does anyone have any experience with registering a non-op with a swap later on?

If I go carb, what will the adjustments/maintenance be if the fox lives at 8k ft and routinely travels over passes of 9500ft and back down to sea level? I like the simplicity of going carb, but am thinking FI might be more reasonable given my location.

My timeframe for the engine is roughly 9 months, at which point I should be keying in on a rolling chassis. I think 9 months is a reasonable amount of time to go slowly, learn as much as I can and not break the bank all at once for the HCI combo and all the peripherals I decide on for this build. Budget wise, I'm looking to spend no more than 2000-2500 on the motor/trans (not counting the short block I already have), and I think that's reasonable for a mild build and given resourceful searching of craigslist for most parts. The roller I find shouldn't cost me more than 1500 bucks, though I'd much rather spend far less on something that is mechanically sound, but cosmetically a mess. I like the sleeper look of a junker with a healthy 351 heart, so long as it's straight.

Let me know where I need to start taking notes, ideas, opinions, etc. Looking forward to getting back into a fox this upcoming spring/summer. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by x1n54n3x; 07-28-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'm no expert on these subjects, but if I were you, I'd use the search feature a research what others have done in the past. There's a ton of good info on do's and don'ts on swapping in a 351.

I think your power levels are a little high for your budget, but if you camp out on Craigslist and forum classifieds, it could be done.

The T5 is going to be over it's limits behind a 351, but will work if you treat it accordingly.

Good luck, I'll be watching this thread too, as I'll be going with a 351 swap in my wife's 83. But that won't be for quite awhile yet.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:10 PM
x1n54n3x
1st Gear Member

I know, I know, I should know better to post before searching more, but I was just so excited to actually have the 351 in my possession and to finally start the planning on being in a fox again!

I'll do some research and update the original post accordingly.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:10 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

lol, yup, exciting days ahead........
Old 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you won't be anywhere near 390-450 rwhp with that combo expecially at that altitude.......you'll need to stroke it and have the "right h/c/i" in hopes to get to that hp range........with 185-205 heads and a custom cam and well ported air gap intake you should be able to hit 325-350 rwhp at that altitude...hopefully.............but then again it's all subjective to compression ratio/current pistons it has??.......to many variables and unknowns to make an accurate guess.

email this guy with goals and he'll help you select the proper parts......www.flowtechinduction.com