Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

E-Brake Handle Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Makurai

Default E-Brake Handle Retrofit

Has anybody ever done this job to their Mustang, and if so, was it worth it?

http://home.bresnan.net/%7Edazed/e-brake

It seems like a good idea, but how badly would this affect resale value? And does anybody have an idea of how many hours of labor (professional) would be needed for this type of job?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: E-Brake Handle Retrofit

It looks like it replaces the console rather nicely (I like the seat covers - early 'House of Ill Repute' look) if you have a thing against consoles but would not be any better than the stock set-up. Remember, the real name is 'parking brake' - I wouldn't trust it in an emergency.
Jim
Old 07-15-2007, 12:47 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Imagine you are cruising down the freeway at 80 + MPH in your 65 Mustang. There is a vehicle about three car lengths ahead of you and you see that they are applying their brakes. In response, you press your brake pedal and to your horror it goes all the way to the floor. With the stock configuration you must now reach under the dash, fumble around for the handle and then pull it straight out towards the seat, which is difficult in and of it self because where the handle needs to go is probably where your leg is currently resting. All this must be accomplished while keeping your other hand on the steering wheel, the car under control, and an eye on the road.
Wouldn't that make the car loss controll and spin like a top down the highway since your only applying the rear? I would rather go off the road than pull the ebrake, assuming it would even do squat at higher speeds.

Nicely done though!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

My question is WHY? The hand brake under the dash or the hand brake between the seats does the same job. They are not emergency brakes, they are parking brakes. If you pull that sucker going 70 miles an hour, you will definitely go into a 360 degree spin out. Meaning you will totally lose control of the car. If your regular brakes go out, head that Mustang in the direction you want to go to avoid collision and use your gears to slow you down.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:09 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

Actually, Mustangs were built during the days when they were still emergency brakes. They are manual--using a cable, not hydraulics. By pulling the handle, you're only activating the rear brakes, leaving your front wheels available for steering. This is how stunt driving in the movies is done. If you don't turn the wheel while the hand brake is pulled, you go straight as long as your brake cable is adjusted evenly for both wheels.

I help teach a class on stunt driving and all we do is yank up on the emergency brake and give minimum input to the wheel in order to hit our marks. Of course, we make sure our e-brake cables are adjusted for lock up on both rear wheels before we get into any of the stunts or they won't happen correctly and we go right through the cones or only one wheel locks up and we end up straight or only with a slight turn instead of a 90 or forward 180.

Nowadays, some of the parking brake handles are hooked up to a wire that talks to the computer first and are not even manual other than the handle being a switch. Also, in most cases, they're on a separate circuit from the rear brakes and use much smaller pads whether hydraulic or cable operated because, yes, they are only meant for keeping the car from rolling while parked. For instance, Corvettes have rear disk brakes, but with little shoes that fit inside the rear rotors that function as a parking brake. My Viper has a separate small caliper on each rear rotor.

As for resale value. On cars like this, it depends on what a buyer is willing to pay and what he wants to do with the car. If it's all original except that brake, he might turn up his nose. If the car is already been modified pretty far from stock, it could be a selling point.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:12 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

yeah in my youth handbrake turns were fun out in the fields and stuff
Old 07-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: toolwench

Actually, Mustangs were built during the days when they were still emergency brakes. They are manual--using a cable, not hydraulics. By pulling the handle, you're only activating the rear brakes, leaving your front wheels available for steering. This is how stunt driving in the movies is done. If you don't turn the wheel while the hand brake is pulled, you go straight as long as your brake cable is adjusted evenly for both wheels.

I help teach a class on stunt driving and all we do is yank up on the emergency brake and give minimum input to the wheel in order to hit our marks. Of course, we make sure our e-brake cables are adjusted for lock up on both rear wheels before we get into any of the stunts or they won't happen correctly and we go right through the cones or only one wheel locks up and we end up straight or only with a slight turn instead of a 90 or forward 180.

Nowadays, some of the parking brake handles are hooked up to a wire that talks to the computer first and are not even manual other than the handle being a switch. Also, in most cases, they're on a separate circuit from the rear brakes and use much smaller pads whether hydraulic or cable operated because, yes, they are only meant for keeping the car from rolling while parked. For instance, Corvettes have rear disk brakes, but with little shoes that fit inside the rear rotors that function as a parking brake. My Viper has a separate small caliper on each rear rotor.

As for resale value. On cars like this, it depends on what a buyer is willing to pay and what he wants to do with the car. If it's all original except that brake, he might turn up his nose. If the car is already been modified pretty far from stock, it could be a selling point.
Interesting post. I doubt that 99 percent of classic mustangs brakes in the rear are adjusted to perfect pressure to both rear shoe brakes. I am not even sure that is even possible. Take that classic Mustang out on the open road and get her up to 70 MPH, then hit that parking brake and see what that sucker does. Just be sure there are no other cars in view and that you have a lot of room on the edge of the road.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 PM
67SuperSnake
2nd Gear Member

I would betthat most of them would slowly come to a stop, cause most of them don't work very well. ha
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

There is a type of vehicle that has only rear brakes actuated by the brake pedal and individually controlled by a separate control called a 'turn brake'. Is is a blast. Oh, and they do stop in a straight line. Must be the driver.
Jim

[IMG]local://upfiles/64738/4C19F8850BB24541B160E4D446C719A5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Some of the rockcrawlers have them but we call them 'cutting brakes'. Lock up an inner rear tire, put it in front-wheel low and you can practically turn in place.

On topic, I've given some thought to that mod before but opted against it purely for aesthetic reasons, even if it would work better. Ultimately, I don't think the mechanical advantage perhaps gained with that lever would make much difference in the braking ability. A greater contributing factor IMO is the brakes themselves.

My Jeep TJ has the handbrake between the seats and drums from the factory and didn't hold worth a darn, let alone bring a moving vehicle to a stop. After switching to rear discs with integrated parking drum, braking is so far improved that a friend of mine actually bent the backing plate in about 5 feetwhen he forgot to remove the parking brake while in 4-low offroad. I don't know how those smaller shoes in there work so well other than to guess that they are designed to be cable actuated solely and not a secondary function to the cars brakes.

I can't argue with the writer's claim that it is easier to apply the center handle, but he doesn't state if actual braking is improved. Personally, I think the early brake handle adds to the charm.

Quick Reply: E-Brake Handle Retrofit