Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 Mustang Front Suspension and Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 PM
VintageBlue
1st Gear Member

Default '65 Mustang Front Suspension and Brake Upgrade

I was going to start on this little project this weekend and was hoping to get some tips and tricks for removing the suspension. Since I am pretty much replacing everything, I was hoping there was a trick out there to remove multiple components at once....like maybe compressing the spring and taking it out (or putting a spring compressor on the spring to hold its position), then removing the a-arms/spindle as a whole? Don't know if that is even possible, just thought I would ask for some seasoned pro's opinions on the subject. Any advice on this mod would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: '65 Mustang Front Suspension and Brake Upgrade

I can't say that I am a seasoned pro at Mustang suspension work, but it is a breeze. Just watch out for the coil spring, and the stuff comes apart right now,once you ge the spring out, you can leave a lot of it together by removing the control arms, strut rods, and tie rod endsfrom their connections to the car, and removing basicly the whole side in one unit more or less, but unless you areplanningon changingthe spindles, you just as well take it all apart on the car.... IMO anyway....

If you plan on chunking everything, it will go faster if you take stuff apart as little as possible, but I dont think you can buy new spindles, so....

If you plan on using your existing spindles, it will be easier to take them off while they are attached to a solid foundation, with this foundation being the car itself.

I hope your project goes well!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 AM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

The best advice I can give you is to pay attention to where all the nuts and bolts go to. Take them out in large section or piece by piece. On my 66 the coil springs were hard but not to bad to remove but they can be. Watch out and have some assistance. If you have someone with you they could help you out to hold up a bunch of stuffand take preassure off the bolts.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:08 AM
VintageBlue
1st Gear Member

I am replacing the spindles as well since I am converting to Disc brakes.....that is why I was curious if it can all be taken out at once, fromt he control arms....would make the "demolition" that much easier.

So, here is my plan if I can get my fat *** in there to do it....take off the wheel (fender if necessary) and compress the spring enough to remove it. Unbolt all connections to pieces that aren't being removed to spindle/a-arms etc. Guess the shock will already be removed to take out the spring. Unbolt upper and lower control arms (starting with lower), cut brake line to drum and hold up drum with jack to relieve pressure on upper a-arm bolts. Remove entire assemble.

sound possible?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Yeah the fenders don't really need to be removed. It will be possible but it could be a pain a everything still connected. If the spring has never been replaced it should be really easy to come out and it should not give you any trouble.