General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Battery Gauge reads high????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 02:13 PM
aamilo
1st Gear Member

Default Battery Gauge reads high????

Ok so about a week ago my wife was driving the 91lx and she said the gauge was reading low when the headlights were on. I figured alternator but cleaned the battery posts and the gauge started reading high. figured the battery was just "recovering" and drove the car. Then the car started having trouble starting. Had the alternator tested they said it was bad BUT even with a different alternator the gauge still reads high and the car struggles to start.

Does the battery charge through the starter solenoid? Could that be the suspect part? My next step is to change the battery but it is less than a year old, and have the other alternator tested but??
Old 01-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Battery Gauge reads high????

have you checked the voltage at the battery when the motor is running?

you may have a bad guage.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:47 PM
aamilo
1st Gear Member

I did meter the batery. (still looking for the digital multi my kids lost.....) it was reading properly. I considered the bad gauge but it doesn't explain why it is starting poorly.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:49 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

you could have a small drain on the battery. its possible that the battery is slowly draining and then after driving it its charging back up.....POSSIBILITY. not for sure.

as far as the gauge goes, it probably shot, get an autometer
Old 01-28-2005, 03:41 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the alternator power output wire and the positive side battery cable are connected at the same terminal post on the starter solenoid, so I would check this connection to be sure everything there is clean from corrosion and connected good and tight. also check the starter cable going from here down to the starter to make sure it is not corroded at the ends and make sure it is clean and tight on the solenoid and the starter connections also. finally make sure the battery ground cable is in good condition and the connection down on the engine block is clean and tight also.