Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Alert! Info on V6 Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 09:42 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Special Alert ! all v6er's should read this!

Afixer thanks for the warning and the details, I had posted on another forum under TJ06 about installing driveshaft safty loops (and planned on installing them with my charger insatall) back in February and also another note Ford put the gas right next to the driveshaft.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=44677

I would even put the safety loops with a power adder even with a new drive shaft because U joints can still let go.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

yes sorry im real tired mph and it came out at about 118 but i think she was up to 130 if you keep the car within speck under the 112 limit you will be fine. ford would not leave it out there if it was a prob this is just a warning to all of us that are going faster! if you don't race or tune the car removing the limits the car will be just fine. I'm not trying to freak anyone out the forum has a lot of fast cars that have removed the limits if this fails and that has been done ford will know it is only for guy like me that are going stupid fast and if we would have known this was a prob we would have done the dyno different. am i clear on this STOCK CAR = OK GO FAST CAR YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO THIS ! AND FOR ALL I KNOW THIS WAS FIXED LAST YEAR. MY CAR BUILD DATE WAS 1/6/05 NEW CAR HAVE THE NEW ONES. just look under the car if the u joints have clips its the upgraded one!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

Enlighten me...where exactly do the drive shaft loops go and what is the intended purpose?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:58 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KiLLeR_WoMBaT

Enlighten me...where exactly do the drive shaft loops go and what is the intended purpose?

One goes near the front of the drive shaft and one goes near the rear they are metal loops that bolt to bottom of your car and the and your driveshaft spins between in the middle of the loops, if the u joint lets go without the safty loops when drag racing it will do a lot of damage under you car and poss flip your car over. But remember the gas tank is right next to the driveshaft on these Mustangs. The safety loop will help contain this it is a must have per track regulation/rule I think when running slicks at the tracks. But I would install them even with DR's but IMO for me I will even install them for racing at the track even if I was using street tires for a couple reasons. The u joints on this six one would think wasn't intended or tested for all the HP & TQ we are going to be throwing at them with a power added and even good u joints let go.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:03 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i have a pic the drive shaft smacked the crap out of the tank but the fiberglass cover saved it!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:03 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

ORIGINAL: KiLLeR_WoMBaT

One goes near the front of the drive shaft and one goes near the rear, if the u joint lets go without the safty loops when drag racing it will do a lot of damage under you car and poss flip your car over. But remember the gas tank is right next to the driveshaft on these Mustangs. The safety loop will help contain this it is a must per have with track regulation I think when running slicks at the tracks. But I would install them even with DR's but IMO for me I will even install them for racing at the track even if I was using street tires.
Thanks! So they just hold the busted, flying drive shaft pieces in and keep them from flying down the track and possibly rupturing your gas tank?

Afixer--would these have been any benefit to you in your situation?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:05 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

yes the driver side muffler is flat on the top ! it hit hard if i would have had single exhaust ti would have hit the floor and prob bounced around and mybe came thru the center console.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

My stang is an 06, so i should be fine right? or should i just look under to make sure.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:41 PM
FearMyMatrix
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

My stang is an 06, so i should be fine right? or should i just look under to make sure.
same question
Old 04-23-2006, 12:15 AM
beachpony

I just went out and checked mine. It's the staked variety with a build date of 9/2/05. I think I'll be investing in an upgraded shaft before pursuing a power adder.

Rob

Quick Reply: Alert! Info on V6 Driveshafts