Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Yet another CAI question

Old 08-18-2006, 02:56 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

Default Yet another CAI question

Ok I know there are several threads on tune vs. no tune intakes, but while in my "reading room" today I was flipping through the July issue of Mustang Monthly looking the 05/06 performance gude. The Airaid write up caught my attention becuase it said "as is" it doesn't require a retune, but you could remove the Modular Venturi tube and increase gains with a custom tune. So my question is would this be a good option for someone like myself who for now wants to mild increase and in a year or so would like to go the full tuning route. I still haven't made my first payment so I'm not in a rush to retune yet.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:09 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another CAI question

Save your money. When you have enough, get a C&L CAI and XCal2 tuner from Evolution, Brenspeed, Bama or Alternative. It's simply the best, and in the end, that's what you want !
Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

yup, you either spend the dough or you don't. The diff is gonna come from the tune.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:11 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

A cai and tune produce the biggest gains I get that but that was not my question. With an Airaid intake could I remove the Venturi tube and do a retune later if I decided I wanted to go that route?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:14 PM
jsciullo

I have the AirAid and it works just fine. Added a tune and it really made smooth power. I did the Airaid based on my experience using it with other cars. I also wanted to wait to do the tune after I had other mods made.
Jim
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsciullo

I have the AirAid and it works just fine. Added a tune and it really made smooth power. I did the Airaid based on my experience using it with other cars. I also wanted to wait to do the tune after I had other mods made.
Jim
Thanks, I know everyone on here is big on just jumping right in with tuning but I'm still a newbie and have never worked with tuners. I would like to do some light mods and build up to more once I get comfortable and have more of an idea what I'm really doing.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

The tune part is much easier than the CAI install. Its like plug & play on your computer. The only two aspects that put me off initially were cost and voiding my warranty. Well the money was spent, I can switch my stuff to stock b4 going to the dealer and the rest is sweet bliss history
Old 08-18-2006, 11:09 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

I'm confused about the benefit of removing the tube. What do you hope to gain from that?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:14 AM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

From the way I read it the tube allows it to use Factory settings, but if you wanted to use a custom tune you would remove it. We are talking about a Venturi tube that probably moderates the air flow to keep it from setting off the MAF, not the main tube.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:27 AM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Britinastang

The only two aspects that put me off initially were cost and voiding my warranty. Well the money was spent, I can switch my stuff to stock b4 going to the dealer and the rest is sweet bliss history
Those are my main concerns also. How long did it take to get everything in once you ordered it? Not the installation but having them program the tuner and shipping it out. Also what if you add new mods after you get it tuned?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another CAI question