Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Noises from stick shift.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 AM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

Default Noises from stick shift.

It seems lately my stick shift has been acting up.

About 2 weeks ago I was on the freeway in rush hour, came to a complete stop, and the car would not go into 1st or 2nd gear... I was trying as hard as possible to get it into first, so I tried second, figuring it wouldnt hurt it too terribly much to start in 2nd. It wouldnt go either. So I had to start in 3rd (I hated doing it, but had no choice in the middle of the freeway.) But once I got moving I was able to shift down to 1st, then 2nd, etc.... I've only expierenced this problem with first now 2 more times in the week, at random intervals. The other thing I have noticed is that 4th gear will occasionaly make a sqeaking sound, it usually does not last very long. Then the final thing I have noticed, and im not sure if its me or the car, is that I can hear a wooshing sound (like wind) when accelerating. I didnt notice this before. I guess the best way to explain it is that it almost sounds like I have a supercharger without actually having one. (Just quieter)

I have put 10,000 miles on my car in the 3 months i've had it. There are times where I do drive it a little hard, and I have raced it. Regardless of how I drive it, I wouldnt expect problems after 10,000 miles. Its under warranty until I hit the 36k mark.

The last few days I have not had any problems whatsoever. Its shifting smoothly, the only issue i've had is sometimes going into reverse. (But i've had this problem on all the cars i've driven.) So i'm not sure if I should take it in to the dealership or not. I dont want to be without my car.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:17 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Noises from stick shift.

do you ever powershift? do teh gears ever grind?
Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

when my car had about 7k miles on it, every once in a while it wouldnt shift into 2nd. happened after i missed 2nd gear. Had my trans resealed at 12k miles or so, problem hasnt happened since, and that includes tons of powershifts, and miss shifts.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:02 AM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

do you ever powershift? do teh gears ever grind?
Prior to this car I hadnt ever been good with a manual tranny. So you could say I "learned" on this car, so the gears have grinded on occasion.

I will admit to being hard on it at times. However I still dont expect these kinds of problems at 10k. All has been going well for the past few days, if nothing comes up im not going to worry about it.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:26 AM
Backlash
2nd Gear Member

i've got an auto, and i get the whoosh sound on hard acceleration. i love it...sounds like a quiet sc...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:36 AM
davelong667
I ♥ Acer

I have that whoosh sound too, Im not sure what it is, i think it is gear whining. My dad drove my stang and he said that whoosh sound brought him back to the 60s and 70s more than anything, he said old novas and his 73 roadrunner did that whoosh sound,
my manual hasnt had any problems with shifting and it has 7500 miles on it. I like the whoosh sound though, it rules!!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 AM
gregwa9

did u try pushing the clutch in, lifting off, then pushing it in again and trying to get it into first...kind of like what happens sometimes with reverse hapens with 1st, that could have been the problem, im not sure
Old 08-21-2006, 08:12 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

i have the shift problem too. i have trouble getting it into first most of the time.
i just give it a little gas before i put it into first and then she moves. i wonder if
this is a ongoing problem for the manual trannys.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:34 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

I've had the same problem with first but not second...letting off the clutch a few times has solved the problem for me...

And what exactly is power-shifting????
Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Lo

is anyone getting a grinding noise from from their trans/clutch??? especialy when im low in the gear i can hear a grinding noise... it dosnt seam normal.. i havent had the car long (about 2 weeks) so i think im gonna have to take it in for them to check it out... also while shifting.. i dont know if its just me being rough with the clutch but i can hear a click or sounds almost like a slap... i dont know if this is normal or not..

Quick Reply: Noises from stick shift.