Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Changing oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:40 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

Default Changing oil filter

So, sunday i'm changing my oil, plugs and putting on the gt front sway bar,(after fixing the new lawn mower, which somehow hit a rock so big it curled the blade over itself) I take off the old filter, which was super tight, and screw the new one on nice and tight. The cars up on the jackstands so I can get under it, I pour in the mobil one and fire it up. I hear this strange sound, like a huge sausage burning in a giant frying pan. The oil is squirting out of the oil filter! I shut it down faster than High hefner on a hot 18 year old. 32 bucks of mobil one is all over the driveway and lubing the bottom of my car!! ( at least it's 'fake' oil) I get under and clean it all up, then tighten the filter with a filter wrench, it turns about 3 full rotations before seating!! I had tightened the filter by hand as tight as I could!! WTF!!! Sooooo, anybody else change their oil, and if so how tight did they tighten their filter?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Changing oil filter

Everyone says to do it only hand-tight, but I always give it an extra quarter-turn with the wrench. I wonder, could the filter have been misthreaded, so it may have only felt tight? When I put it on, and the threads grab, I can literally give the filter a good spin on the threads, so I know it's not misthreaded. It should not start feeling snug until after a few rotations.

That sucks to hear about your driveway.

ken
Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Just wondering, what filter brand did you use?
I replaced it with a K&N Gold and tightend by hand, then tightend just a little more with the 1" nut on top.
I only got maybe half a turn with the wrench after hand tightening.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:44 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

This is why i leave it to the pros at jiffy lube :P
Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

This is why i leave it to the pros at jiffy lube :P
[sm=lol.gif]

[sm=noooo.gif]
Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

HEY! This has happened before WHEN THE OLD GASKET DIDNT COME OFF WITH THE OLD FILTER!!!!! If you have BOTH gaskets there that causes this 99% of the time!! take it from an old pro I've been changing my own oil since I was 16 I'm 47 now. Hope it helps.
Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 07:59 PM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

I only use OE motorcraft filters...NEVER EVER BUY FRAM! Unless its the toughguard. Make sure the manufacture tests thier filters with Helium Gas if they dont, then screw it. Most are just mass produced and never tested. Go to a junk yard, for every car thats in there NOT for an accident see what brand filter is on it most of the time it will be a fram.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

Jiffy Lube guys arent "pros". They are idiot bonehead kids hired for minimum wage ok. I've heard stories where they leave the drain plug bolts loose and people go down the road and you can imagine the hassle. I don't even think these guys know the proper levels of fluids. Another person said they put in six quarts of oil when five is max. Wrong filters (CHEAP ONES) No thanks. I'll do my own.
Tom
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I know some people who have found a reputable oil change place that they trust, but I have not. The dealership for my wife's car... they let the new guy do the oil change and he splashed oil all over the place... car smelled for a week. They also neglected to lock the hood. No free wash, either. How much do you want to bet they didn't check one tire or fluid level? At least she got a glossy service brochure with the receipt for $58.

Ken
Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM
davelong667
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, When I got my stang my wife DEMANDED the 1 yr oil change package for $100, to make her happy I got it, and trust me, each time I go to get my oil changed I cross my fingers on BOTH hands, that they dont scratch my paint, strip my drain plug, or filter threads. I also pray they dont over or under fill it. I told my wife " I hate that Dealer oil change BS.... I will just do it myself" she says "Oh HELLL no, we paid $100 for that deal, and Ill be DAMNED if I throw away $100, you WILL use the dealer service" So no synthetic oil or K&N oil filters for me.... not for a while...lol
I HATE other people man handling my car!!!

Quick Reply: Changing oil filter