Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Miles vs months for first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:43 AM
ogmaster

Default Miles vs months for first oil change

Everyone knows about the 3 months or 3000 miles rule, and in the manual says 5000. Here's my situation. First oil change coming up, had the stang for a little over three months, only driven it 1340 miles(work is only 2 miles away). So should I give it another month or just go ahead and change it. From what I heard, starting up with a synthetic blend is a good idea as well.

I appreciate the replies.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:49 AM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Miles vs months for first oil change

I personally get it changed every 3K. Sometimes it won't take 3 months to get to it. But I'd say get her changed. I need to get one soon, almost to 31K on mine.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 AM
jay_t

Great question, I was wondering the same thing. First 3 months will be 2 days from now, and I'm only at around 2200 mi...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

I am the oil ****...2000 or 2 months
Old 08-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

I am the oil ****...2000 or 2 months

Got you beat! I change mine after everytime I drive her!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:08 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

I did my 1st change at 1000 miles I want to get Royal Purple in my car right away(i don't know why) but I think I wait til I hit 5000 now.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

yeah well i rotate my tires about 10,000 times a day
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 AM
KCDeubners

This is only my opinion based on some experience:
The hardest thing on a car is daily short trips in stop and go traffic - that takes a toll on oil and engine. If you get the Mustang out and let her breath on the hiway it really helps - they are meant to be driven. Short trips means the oil can't circulate well and gunk begins to build in places you don't want it to.
If all you do is short trips you want to stay close to 3 months, but you might want to consider a synthetic oil that lasts longer and cleaner - it also adds mpg and in time a small modest gain in power - not to mention longevity. With a Amsoil type oil you can go 5000-7500 miles and still have a clean engine that runs very well. No, I don't sell oil; just have used it for a long time with good results.
Some oils have/had a parifin base and do not do well for regular short trips. Although most are re-formulating and doing a good job with the newer engines. Find a good mechanic or an engine builder and ask them. Beware the commercials.
Also, remember the oil people want you to R&R your oil as often as possible, while Ford wants you to take care of a car they are backing with a warranty. I trust Ford and the book. Oil isn't as delicate as their sellers would have us believe.
The basic guidlines:
1. Drive the car - beward stop and go short trips - esp in a mustang
2. Use common sense with maintaining a legend.
3. Trust the book on your car
4. Use the best parts and oil with the best gargage - a legend deserves better than the blue light special.
5. Don't stress out about what everyone else says - its your Mustang

Didn't mean to preach a sermon, but that is my vocation so its a occupational hazard with me :-)

As I said, this is my opinion and I'm sure others would argue the fine points. dkd

btw - VERY nice care - you did a good job.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:27 PM
KCDeubners

I looked over my notes and have to apologize for the typos. I'm used to MS word catching them all for me.

I did mean to say, "Nice Car"
Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

ouch, it hurts to read what you wrote! i changed mine at 500 miles, and from the color it was, it was worth it (about the same price as a tank of gas) Youre work is 2miles away? thats gatta be torture on ure engine, i woulda changed it at 250 , some say its stupid and a waste, i say its like givving my car a sign on bonus for working for my right foot. the first 6000 miles can determine how many miles you will get out of ure engine before it burns oil like a mexican truck. My oil and filter was changed at 500, 1500, and in about 2 weeks, 3000 miles ( oil and filter are patiently waiting in my garage) After i change my oil at 3000 im ganna keep changing it at 3000 mile intervals ( weather permiting) full synthetic or not!!!

Quick Reply: Miles vs months for first oil change