Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Newbie here and I need an education.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Default Newbie here and I need an education.

I've read in several posts about throttle lag. What exactly is this? My V6 seems anemic and I'm looking for a way to get a little more power. I've read about these Cold Air Intakes and I'm confused. Can some of these be easy replacements for the existing air intake with out any "computer" changes? Do some of them require "computer" changes? As you can see I'm a total beginner so thanks in advance for the education.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:32 AM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie here and I need an education.

I recommend you visit this post first. It will give you quite a bit of information and answer some of your questions.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1189936/tm.htm

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

I can give you a basic answer and then maybe one of our more learned members can follow up with the tech stuff.
The throttle lag is due to the fact the throttle is "fly by wire" so no mechanics but computer controlled.
The cold air intakes that require a tune (the ones I would recommend) typically expand the diameter of the intake so that more air can come into the engine, quicker and less rescticted by that huge stock air box. They also have a v.good filter again to improve air intake overall. The more air and cooler air into the engine the better (not sure why exactly).

Because the air going in changes from the stock you need a tune to tell the engine computer to change it self according to that difference, otherwise the air fuel mixture can be impacted and you get an upset 4.0 engine. The tune also does lots of bonus stuff like firming up shift points, enabling you to change and get the most out of higher octane fuel....and no doubt lots of other stuff I am yet to understand.

The end point is a car with roughly 20 -25 more horses. Much better acceleration, a much smoother acceleration. The engine runs more efficiently and therefore is better on gas (maybe 1-2mpg depends on a lot things).

The result is huge diff over stock. Quite honestly the best thing you will ever do to your car.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys for the fast replies. Is there a good post that explains these so called "tuners"? Is this something a neophyte can do? I've worked on cars for years but it's been brakes and the likes never electronics.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 AM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

The flashing device (often referred to as a tuner) is easy to use. You plug it in to the OBD port under the steering wheel to the left and follow the prompts on the device (I'm referring to the X-Cal 2). Any of the oft mentioned tuners (Brenspeed, Alternative Auto, Bamachips, etc.) will set the tuner based on your car and it's modifications, if any. You will have the ability to load tunes based on 87, 89 or 91, and 93 octane. It comes with 3 of the 4 four mentioned. You will also be able to return the car to stock if you have to take it in for warranty work. It makes the car perform much better and is really quite simple to use. If it was any easier, Ford would have done it for you. LOL!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:28 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya its real easy. Friend did it to his 96 Stang just plugged it in and i think it took less then 5mns. So it isnt time comsuming either which is a bonus compared to other mods. But then again it is a tad pricey if you get the combo but who cares about numbers
Old 08-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

"87, 89 or 91, and 93 octane"

Where do you get 93 octane gas?

What would happen if you tuned it to say 91 and put in 87. Pinging?

I guess the next logincal question is which CIA for the V6? There are so many listed in the posts that it gets confusing.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rupp

I guess the next logincal question is which CIA for the V6? There are so many listed in the posts that it gets confusing.
Here in Michigan I can get 94 at some places! LOL!

For a CAI, I highly recommend a X-Cal2/C&L combo....
Old 08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Until I started looking for it, I didn't realize how readily available 93 octane was in my area.

Yes, you should expect pinging.

I'm currently running the 91 octane after trying both the 87 and 93. There is a slight difference between the 93 and 91, but by running the 91 I can buy any premium fuel, still get great performance and not be locked in to buying from certain stations. Compared to the 87, both the 91 and the 93 had better overall performance, in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rupp

I didn't realize it till reading the post on here that 93 octane was not common. Here in Virginia every place I fuel up the premium grade is 93, in fact it is usally 87,91,93.

Quick Reply: Newbie here and I need an education.