Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Contemplating duals

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 AM
jittie
1st Gear Member

Default Contemplating duals

Right now I have a single Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back, but recently I have been considering going to duals for the looks and the little extra sound, plus duals seem to be a little deeper than the single.

For those with duals, did you get a shop to custom make an additional pipe for you, or buy a kit? I've seen a few people who have bought GT pipes, and I'm wondering what those will run me, and where to get them. Also does anyone know if there is a place that will sell only the driver side axle-back American Thunder, or am I going to have to buy a GT kit and sell the passenger side muffler?

And if anyone is in the Tampa / Sarasota area, know of any decent shops in the area?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Miami Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Contemplating duals

I just bought the whole thing, no custom fabrication needed (magnaflows) and installed it myself. If you are talking about dual GT takeoffs those are cheap, you might have to have an H or X pipe custom made to do it but there's nothing wrong with doing that. As for the driver side American Thunder, I think you're screwed there sorry lol.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:47 AM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

i went to a shop and they made a ustom x-pipe and installed everything nicely. duals r definatyl the way to go
Old 08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: |UCF|chron

i went to a shop and they made a ustom x-pipe and installed everything nicely. duals r definatyl the way to go
So did they custom bend the piping to make it true duals, or did you have to buy a set of dual pipes? Like can I buy GT pipes and have them installed on my car to make it true duals, or do I have to have a shop custom make me something?

I'm just not sure how many quality shops are in my area.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

i didnt have a kit so thats y they had o bend the pipes, but im sure if u got a kit it would be easier for them bc it would just be direct swap.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I bought the JBA tru duals with h pipe from v6mustangstuff, $599, and installed them in my drive way. They work great. Easy install if you have/rent a tiger saw.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

tiger saw?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:23 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

or dog saw in this case

[IMG]local://upfiles/41550/ECD50C83696347C0B7B212006B49A79C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2006, 05:45 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lol thats a sawzall (sp?)
Old 09-03-2006, 12:47 PM
stang_4_joey
1st Gear Member

I have Dual exhaust and I love it. The GT Takeoffs have a real nice sound not to loud under normal driving conditions (can hear your radio and hold conversation with others) but when you get on the car they sound really good. If you would like to hear a good sound clip go to the following location. This was the deciding factor for me and I set my duals up same way as this gentleman.

http://marklhammond.googlepages.com/exhaustvideoclips

1 - Purchased 2 GT takeoffs from ebay - $80.00 included shipping

2 - Purchased Mannaflow X pipe ebay - $75.00 included the cost of shipping

3 - Purchased GT Driver side pipe from local dealer - $100 (was ripped off by dealer) recommend using

4 - Purchased 2 muffler hangers for 2005, V6 Mustang – paid $38.00 each + shipping

5 - Paid muffler shop $300.00 to install. Price was high because I asked shop to set it up so the transmission could be serviced without having to cut the exhaust apart. The shop did an excellent job. They welded 8 flanges on my setup (4 on the Xpipe and 4 on the other mating pipes). Also System is balanced, pipes are equally spaced off the center of the car.

If you want to do it yourself you may want to purchase the following from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1

Quick Reply: Contemplating duals