Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Newbie Tuner,NEEDS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:37 AM
opticalveracity
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie Tuner,NEEDS HELP!

ok guys...........bare with me.....dont flame me or tell me to search...ive asked around, did my research and i find myself in the same thought process...i have an
automatic 2006 v6. i decided to put my exterior mods on hold and im going to just work the motor. ok now, heres my personal issues. i dont want an exhaust. i can get a free magnaflow muffler , but dont want the noise. so im going to go with a xcal2 tune plus the cai. i notice everyone that posts about thier tune+cai they never mention the brands....whats the best brand intake? also, since i have a 3yr warranty will this void my warranty? if so, god forbid i must go in for warranty work one day, what do i need to do? will they work on my car still,etc...ok next, heres what i found. thiers a nice guy who owns a shop in hobe sound florida named "mac donald motorsports". i found them through the SCT people, like to see what places sells SCT and they came up.i called, spoke to the owner. He says and I quote " i will do the SCT xcal2 tune+cai+custom automatic dyno tunes for 600 bucks" to me that sounds like a bargain. since i decided to focus on speed rather then rims tires, etc thats what i want to do. i just want to make sure theres no way i can hurt my car by doing this and what i need to keep in mind, etc etc...im A NEWBIE! i came from a jetta turbo....this is all new to me! so tell me ur input, advice, etc...hopefully someone has heard of mac donald motorsports. please anyone with advice help etc let me know. one last thing, anyone with an automatic 2006 that has JUST a xcal2 tune and cai, let me know how the car runs etc! let me know if u had the tune and cai done with a custom automatic dyno tune as well please! im NOT doing the exhaust, i repeat! so yah, thanks for any future help, advice, etc etc , and again bare with me! im new at this, i cant even change my own oil, my parents wont support me tuning my car and if something happens wont pay for it if warranty doesnt , so im just very sketchy, paranoid..bare with me...LOL...i am an anxiety post stress person when it comes to tuning a car that i know nothing about and the percautions! this is the nicest and fastest car ive ever owned! so all help much appreciated! thanks

steven dileonardo
Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Tuner,NEEDS HELP!

those are two nice looking rides...that's fo sho
Old 08-31-2006, 12:45 AM
opticalveracity
2nd Gear Member

thanks, the Z is my friend bens, its so fast! hes going for 1500hp from LPE! twin turbo setup and nos
ORIGINAL: hammeron

those are two nice looking rides...that's fo sho
Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Send me the fre emagnaflow ill give you 2 gt take offs they arent loud :P
Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 AM
Miami Mustang
2nd Gear Member

$600 is great for that combo, if he gives you the tuner. From what I've read here the C&L intake has the best gains and the most used. Everyone gets it with the xcal2 and 2 or 3 tunes from either Bamachips, Alternative Auto, Brenspeed, or Evolution to name the popular ones. Correct me if I'm wrong but Evolution sells the C&L and xcal2 with 3 tunes for $565 (the one I'm planning on getting eventually), so the $600 the guy quoted you including the dyno is not bad, but it sounds like he's only giving you one tune and no tuner . If you have to take it for warranty work just replace it with the stock airbox and tune.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:15 AM
TheBest159
1st Gear Member

since we are on the subject of newbie tuners... i was putting in my order at bamachips and i could not find the axle code anywhere.... does anyone know where to find it?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

SCT from alternative auto and C&L CAI. Lidio works wonders with the auto tranny .....you will not be disapointed. Ask for the barbaric shifts set up . I have taken my car to do warranty service...i only flash it back to stock and hand over the keys. They even replaced my alternator with the PHP Pulley...turns out ford pinched a harness during assembly and the cables had shorted out ...that in turn drained my battery and blew a couple of fuses(car left me stranded in the midle of the expressway). If you want you can install the stock airbox for warranty ..it will only be 15-20 minutes of work .
Old 08-31-2006, 03:37 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

Niiice Pics...Love the Yellow One!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:43 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

If you buy your CAI and tuner from Evolution, you get two free dyno pulls as well. Of course, you have to get there...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puerto Rico 4.6

SCT from alternative auto and C&L CAI. Lidio works wonders with the auto tranny .....you will not be disapointed. Ask for the barbaric shifts set up . I have taken my car to do warranty service...i only flash it back to stock and hand over the keys. They even replaced my alternator with the PHP Pulley...turns out ford pinched a harness during assembly and the cables had shorted out ...that in turn drained my battery and blew a couple of fuses(car left me stranded in the midle of the expressway). If you want you can install the stock airbox for warranty ..it will only be 15-20 minutes of work .
I agree... Lidio's does amazing things with automatics... however... he no longer offers the "Barbaric" shift setup... LOL!

As far as taking your car in for service... some dealerships are way more **** than others! Mine is very very cool... but I've heard horror stories about other...

Quick Reply: Newbie Tuner,NEEDS HELP!