Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

? on V6 stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:37 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Default ? on V6 stock mufflers

Do they use different stock mufflers on the regular V6 - vs - premium - vs - Pony package models? Just curious because a recent write up in one of the mustang mags had a review of the V6 Pony Package. In the write-up they were praising the flow thru muffler design and the sound of the muffler, comparing it to the GT's. The way they made it sound, sounds like the premium models got a different muffler than the regular models? IF so, are they less restrictive? I know they do have a nice purr to them at idle, and when you get on the throttle, but I haven't driven a regular V6 model to compare.

I switched mine to a Magnaflow axle back last month, and I'm still waiting to hear what the final sound will be like on it. Some days it has a nice deep mellow tone, other days it is a little higher pitched, but not ricey. The thing I'm wondering the most is, if the drone will go away when the engine is under load around 1800rpm. It gets a bit loud in the cabin, so if you were driving in hilly terrain, that would get annoying and head ache causing real quick. I guess I'll find out this weekend when we head up to the mountain for some late summer skiing. They just got 3" up on the upper slopes of Mt Hood the other day, at the end of AUGUST!

Anyway, any feedback on the mufflers would be appreciated. I'm even considering switching back to the stock muffler, or maybe going with GT take-offs or JBA's, if they are a little quieter than the Magnaflow is at this point. I do like the sound it makes when you get on the throttle, nice deep, aggressive. Just not that drone.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:40 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ? on V6 stock mufflers

maybe in 07 there is a new muffler?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:41 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

dunno bout the premium stuff but the gt takeoffs are nice. eeper a little louder. No drone either. Jba is supposed to be deeper but not super loud also.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:20 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Don't know about '07 but im pretty sure the 05-06 mufflers are the same. A GT Take Off is the best bang for the buck. You can get them on like v6mustangstuff.com but i got mine off ebay and only paid $50 after shipping. Magnaflows pry sound better but the GT sounds alot better then the stock muffler and you still get the 7hp or so gain.