Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger Recommendation

Old 09-07-2006, 01:16 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger Recommendation

I have a non-computer literate buddy with an '05 stang. He wants to put a supercharger on it. He does not want a turbo..... he is old school and considers the turbo to be non-muscle car (whatever)....

If money is not an object, what is the best supercharger from a LOW RPM performance point of view. What I mean by this is the following. He does NOT want to go to the track and does NOT street race. He just wants more head snap on the car, especially in the 2000-4000 RPM range... you know.. while cruising around at 40 MPH in 4th (i.e. OD off), he wants to be able to punch it and snap his head better. TOP SPEED is not a consideration. 1/4 mile times are of no interest. 0-60 IS AN area he would like to have good performance..... 30-70 MPH would be another good example where performance is desired...

Wadda ya think??
Old 09-07-2006, 01:26 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger Recommendation

x-charger if its out
Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

What is the website for X-charger... what gains do they see? Air to air cooler?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:50 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Lower gains of the few but has the best low rpm power. Not released yet. Roots type blower. My favorite is the procharger but if you have any problems with it good luck getting help. For an easy reliable s/c the vortech i think is the best. Ive had procharger and vortech. Got higher number with the procharger but it was also at a higher psi so i really cant compare. So basically i recomend the vortech. Xcharger isnt relased yet so thats out if he doesnt want to wait. With overdrive off when you press it when your already going like 50 or 60 you can definetely feel it good.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:52 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

Lower gains of the few but has the best low rpm power. Not released yet. Roots type blower. My favorite is the procharger but if you have any problems with it good luck getting help. For an easy reliable s/c the vortech i think is the best. Ive had procharger and vortech. Got higher number with the procharger but it was also at a higher psi so i really cant compare. So basically i recomend the vortech. Xcharger isnt relased yet so thats out if he doesnt want to wait. With overdrive off when you press it when your already going like 50 or 60 you can definetely feel it good.
Explorer Express (the X-Charger folks) are now accepting orders and should be shipping next week. This is the absolute best for low end umph making like 75% of boost by 1800 RPM...

Here's the link to their site: http://explorerexpresscom.nationprotect.net/index.shtml No mention of the x-charger for the mustang so you'll probably want to call them...

The hi-po kit is putting down 282RWHP...
Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

if im not mistaken, shouldn't the x-charger put out around the same times as the other chargers putting out just over 300rwhp? It has such a flat torque curve and it gets to near its peak power VERY quickly...
Old 09-07-2006, 03:12 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Oh... I found Explorer Express... I thought they were just a dealer... do they actually make the X-Charger...

OK, that makes me feel better if they have been making them for Explorers for some time. Do they have a fairly good reliability record on the Explorers? How do they get oil?

THe Hi-Po makes 282 ? Without intercooling? Why is Afixer only getting 252? Is the Hi-Po not legal in Ca. ??
Old 09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Afixer has the Cali version. Which uses the stock air tube. He was the guinea pig for the x-charger, Yes i believe that he is only making 255whp to the wheels. The real selling point of the X is the almost immediate torque of 288wtq in the Hi-pro verson. The Cali is running at 6psi and the Hi-pro is at 9 psi. T0hey use a MP90 blower which is the same s/c that is used in the rouch s/c for the GT. I know your gonna sak 4K for the Hi-pro is a lot for only 80whp, most of the money is paying for the development of the adapter or something that EE had to fab up to connect the blower to our block. I don't believe that EE builds the MP90, and before i forget no it isn't supercharger. Thats the main fault of it, EE says that their is no room under the stock hood for a intercooler and they wanted you to be able to keep it under the stock hood. With that being said, The people who are waiting on the X-Charger are hoping that EE will recongnize the market for it and off a aftercooler for their kit but it isn't a perfect worl and you have to your lemons and make lemonade with it.

Most poeple who have F/I though have the Vortech or Procharger which seem the be the best deals. As you know V/C and P/C are bot centri s/c. Scrming has a V/C and with suspension work and at 10psi i believe? he is in the 13.00-13.08 range.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I thought Armycook was the one around 13.08 with his procharger?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

I thought Armycook was the one around 13.08 with his procharger?
Yea he was on street tires too i thought but thats like 12 psi boost

Inever knew the xcharger put out 282 rwhp that makes it worth it =) i thought it was around 260

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger Recommendation