Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Abnormal front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:11 PM
randyc1441

Default Abnormal front tire wear

Has anyone had problems with cupping on the inside of the front tires? I put 9.00 inch wide wheels with 255/45/17 tires on front . they only have about 3500 miles on them. Had front end alignment checked and the toe was out, i had that corrected and still seems to be cupping.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Abnormal front tire wear

Cupping is usually caused by bad shocks/struts. I doubt yours are bad, but that is usually the cause. Also, Ive found that most techs dont jounce the car after they change the "settings", its very important that they do this, because after its jounced the settings usually arent where the tech set them to. It needs to stay after the car is jounced that way you know that after you hit a bump the angles arent going to be off.
-P.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Cupping is usually caused by bad shocks/struts. I doubt yours are bad, but that is usually the cause. Also, Ive found that most techs dont jounce the car after they change the "settings", its very important that they do this, because after its jounced the settings usually arent where the tech set them to. It needs to stay after the car is jounced that way you know that after you hit a bump the angles arent going to be off.
-P.
bad shocks/struts or tires not properly balanced...and yes jouncing is very important. Ever notice how when you lower your car from a lift or jack stands it sits higher until it settles back down, similar situation since most shops take the weight off the wheels a bit so they can adjust them if needed.

edit: almost forgot. To make sure we're using the same definition. By cupping, you mean high and low spots as you follow the diameter of the tire right? If cupping is severe enough even fixing the problem won't make the tires 'un'cup. They'll have to be replaced. Got enough air in those meats? Go by what the sidewall says (-3 to -7 less depending on the sidewall) not what the manual says.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:00 PM
randyc1441

thanks for the advice, and yes that is what i meant by cupping. The Max tire pressure is 51psi, I dont run it close to that. My tire pressure currently is at 30 psi , which is what the shop had them set them at. The road i live on has some major 90 degree curves which i sometimes take a little faster than the signs specify,but no tire squeeling happening by any means. i notice that my car has some what of negative camber setting by looking at it from the front, but apparently it is in spec according to the alignment shop. I wasnt for sure if the extra wheel offset my cause a problem, since it is pushing the wheel/tire out further causing it to ride more on the inside of the tire. That my sound stupid, but it seems to make since from the trigonometry aspect of it.