Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

? fix for exhaust drone?

Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 AM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Default ? fix for exhaust drone?

It seems that quite a few have been experiencing some drone from changing their exhaust system, whether axle-back or cat-back. From what I've read, it seems that due to the placement of the mufflers on the 05-07 mustangs, or the inherent design on some of the replacement mufflers, the droning problem is one that won't easily go away.

So, to help ease that issue, what if one were to get the underside of their car sprayed with undercoating? I've seen some undercoat that almost looks like the spray-in bedliner on pickup trucks, but not as thick. I'm just not sure if that would be enough to isolate the cabin from the drone of the exhaust, and if so, by how much. But it would help to protect your car from the elements, specially anywhere that is exposed to salts, and help seal up some of the shoddy welding done on the underside of these cars.

Another fix, if one cane find a cheaper alternative, would be insulating the trunk and under the carpets in the cabin with thin insulation, like Dynamat - if it weren't so expensive. Not only would this help to cut down the noise, but help out with insulating you from the elements, and improve your audio, too

Or keep swapping out muffs until you find one that doesn't drone[]
Old 09-16-2006, 02:17 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ? fix for exhaust drone?

one word... resonator... should eliminate most all of the drone.... Don't a have a good link for you... I know MRT has them and they work really well with their MRT Aero-Turbine axle back...
Old 09-16-2006, 05:13 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

and if you really want to get rid of any type of droning, resonator, and dynomat the trunk.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:28 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

one word... resonator... should eliminate most all of the drone.... Don't a have a good link for you... I know MRT has them and they work really well with their MRT Aero-Turbine axle back...

Hey, thanks Scrming. I'll have to check out their site. I actually went with the Magnaflow, following your lead way back when - lol. Don't worry, not putting the drone blame on you - lol. The MRT just sounds a bit loud for my use, and I normally have a passenger in the back seat, so I stayed with the Magnaflow.

But I'll have to check out the resonator, and probably going to get the car undercoated anyway, and will probably insulate the trunk and under the carpets. Thanks again for the replies.

Slo
Old 06-03-2022, 06:17 AM
Mr. Fix it

Originally Posted by slowryde45
It seems that quite a few have been experiencing some drone from changing their exhaust system, whether axle-back or cat-back. From what I've read, it seems that due to the placement of the mufflers on the 05-07 mustangs, or the inherent design on some of the replacement mufflers, the droning problem is one that won't easily go away.

So, to help ease that issue, what if one were to get the underside of their car sprayed with undercoating? I've seen some undercoat that almost looks like the spray-in bedliner on pickup trucks, but not as thick. I'm just not sure if that would be enough to isolate the cabin from the drone of the exhaust, and if so, by how much. But it would help to protect your car from the elements, specially anywhere that is exposed to salts, and help seal up some of the shoddy welding done on the underside of these cars.

Another fix, if one cane find a cheaper alternative, would be insulating the trunk and under the carpets in the cabin with thin insulation, like Dynamat - if it weren't so expensive. Not only would this help to cut down the noise, but help out with insulating you from the elements, and improve your audio, too

Or keep swapping out muffs until you find one that doesn't drone[]

Hi there. did you ever resolve this issue?

I bought a V6 08 last summer and it's driving me batty.
Changed out 2 pairs of mufflers now and still the same BS.
Does insulating the trunk help?

TIA