Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT takeoff just installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:45 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Default GT takeoff just installed

I just put on a single GT takeoff, and it sounds a little deeper, but not much different then the stock. It actually seems like the stock v6 is louder. Am i missing something?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: GT takeoff just installed

It's all a matter of perspective. I love how my GT take-off sounds, but I wasn't looking to set off car alarms with my ragtop. It will get slightly louder once it breaks in. At least it was a cheap mod, and something you can resell if you decide you want something louder.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

It sounds alot louder over stock to me. Alot happier with it especially since i only spent $50 for the GT Take Off.....Its a nice one over stock but i know ill pry get an MRT sometime.....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:47 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Mine's louder than stock. You only hear it though when actually giving her gas. It's not tremendously louder (which I didn't want), but certainly notably more sound in my case.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:10 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

I take back what I said before - after driving around a while, i can see its noticeably deeper, and louder, especially at lower RPM's to me. My bad!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 PM
StangFreak06
2nd Gear Member

I have a single gt muffler and i can definatly nmotice the difference. A noticable diffrence in pitch and volume at idle. I find that its is at it prime pitch at about 3000 rpms, at least thats where it sounds best to me.

2 examples:

1) I used to park outside on a driveway, now i park in an undergraund parking garadge (about 12 spots). My apartment is right above where i park my car. my roomate told me he can hear my car when i start it up, not to mention how sexy it sounds going through the garage.

2) I was on state street in chicago heading to the white sox game. There was an over pass coming up and the road i was on merged to one lane to go into the short tunnel. I gunned it to get ahead of a truck before the tunnel and there were cars parallel parked along the street right next to me. The sound of the exhaust bouncing of the cars was great.

I dont think you get the full effect of the muffler unless you are outside of the car
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Yeah... I hear it at idle come to think of it.. and I notice it when I first crank her up too. I haven't even stepped outside yet to "really" hear it.... I don't trust my fiance to sit in my driver's seat yet.... lol! Man.. I hope she doesn't read this stuff!!!! J/K sugar! But I do want to hear it revvved while outside my car!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I've read posts that Ford uses a different factory GT muffler for automatic versus 5-speed, and somehow the 5-speeds are a bit louder. Probably not a big deal, but may explain some difference from car to car.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I just put a GT take-off on and took it for a ride. It's very quiet at idle ... however when applying throttle it is definitely louder than the 6-cylinder muffler. Having the second muffler sitting there in the box sure makes it tempting to head down to Mieneke and get it installed ....

There are two different mufflers for auto and manual tranny .... The manual tranny muffler is actually costs $70 more also ... anyone have part #'s so I can figure out which on I have?

FYI ... Here are all the numbers on my GT left side muffler to compare ...

5R33-5232-AB

F1-7991-L

Grease Pencil - 1076