Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

anyone done a big single exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 AM
87TURBO

Default anyone done a big single exhaust?

I have a procharged 06 making 320hp right now at the wheels on a mustang dyno. I have a jba muffler. would a 3" or 3 1/2" single make a big differance. I know from behind now it sounds like someone is blowing through a straw. I just want to stick with a single exhaust for stelth. I thought about 3" single with 2 dynomax bullit mufflers (one as a resonator). what do you think?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:00 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone done a big single exhaust?

hmmm to me it sounds like a lot would have to be changed so you dont get any bottle-necking. for example, if you were just to do everything from after the headers, the headers would be a bottle neck because they are not as big
Old 09-19-2006, 12:58 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

your making 320 hp at the rear wheels on a mustang dyno which is prob like 350something at the rear wheels with the only other mod being a jba muffler
i forsee some probs for you because your either running 16psi or your full of it
as far as the bigger exhaust there are certian diameters your pipes should be depending on your hp output if you are pushing 300-500 a 2 and a half is good
i would say if you want to change something toss that jba out the window and get an mrt
Old 09-21-2006, 06:18 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fitbikeco

your making 320 hp at the rear wheels on a mustang dyno which is prob like 350something at the rear wheels with the only other mod being a jba muffler
i forsee some probs for you because your either running 16psi or your full of it
as far as the bigger exhaust there are certian diameters your pipes should be depending on your hp output if you are pushing 300-500 a 2 and a half is good
i would say if you want to change something toss that jba out the window and get an mrt
I'm very curious on the 320RWHP on a PC at 9.7psi. Is this STD or SAE numbers, it's amazing if you are getting that kind of power out of the PC.

As for your exhaust, I think Powerhouse has a 3inch single catback exhaust kit that will allow you to choose a muffler of your choice. That would maintain the single V6 look.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Rygen it is possible with a good tune he could be close to what he is claiming.

Example
5.0 Magazine article
Procharger Mustang 05 Stage 2 P-1SC

On the dyno 5790rpm at 8.6 psi made 320rwhp at 5400rpm at 7.5 psi made 300rwhp running a AFR of 11.7 so another psi could be worth about 20 rwhp which would be 340 rwhp or more on a DynoJet rwhp, MD could show about 320.

So another psi added to the above setup @ 8.6 it might be right.

It is possible in SAE but for sure in STD.

I would be very interested to see his dyno sheet/AFR to see if it is STD or SAE along with what size pulley because that is a nice setup and nice rwhp if correct. Even if it is STD still very good, I think that would only be off by about 10rwhp vs SAE?

So we will see when he post back looking foward to his response and dyno info!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:56 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Very interesting. Well Justin did make 300rwhp on a dynojet with a Vortech @ 7psi.

On a mustang dyno, 320rwhp for 9.7lbs is really good. I too would really like to know who tuned it. Not many PC stangs out there in the 4.0L flavor.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Very interesting. Well Justin did make 300rwhp on a dynojet with a Vortech @ 7psi.

On a mustang dyno, 320rwhp for 9.7lbs is really good. I too would really like to know who tuned it. Not many PC stangs out there in the 4.0L flavor.
I agree Justin did a great job at only 7 psi no doubt, but I would really like to see the AFR chart which he didn't post so I can't tell if it is a lean tune just for the track or is it a good safe tune you could use also as a DD. he did a great job either way but if that tune AFR is a good safe tune for a DD that would be excellant.

I am not a member at V6 any chance you could ask him for the AFR I would really like to see it?

If 87Turbo #'s are correct I wonder what numbers Justin could get?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

newbie that starts postin out of nowhere that he's hitting 320rwhp on a mustang dyno is hard to believe. thats over 400hp at the crank. (320rwhp on mustang = about 355 on dynojet = 400hp at flywheel)

id like to see a graph myself
Old 09-22-2006, 02:44 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

i like the PC more than the vortech but 320rwhp on a mustang dyno thats a little...out there
Old 09-22-2006, 02:50 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

well the other PC numbers are around 300-310rwhp on that boost, and thats on a dynojet.

Quick Reply: anyone done a big single exhaust?